MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YARDS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206625

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YARDS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YARDS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:27:01.

Location

Statutory Address: MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YARDS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bamburgh

National Grid Reference: NU1778934961

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1404/17/34 24-OCT-02

BAMBURGH CHURCH STREET (North side) MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YAR DS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

GV II*

Churchyard memorial. 1842. Designed by Anthony Salvin. The tomb was repaired in 1885 by Frederick Wilson, when a new effigy was carved by C R Smith in Portland stone. (The original which is now in the church). 1894 the canopy rebuilt to the designs of W S Hicks 1894 after the original was damaged in a gale. Ashlar and bronze, iron railings. Gothic Revival style. Rectangular base bearing life-size effigy. Canopy on 8 bronze spiral colonettes with open leafy capitals. Stone trefoiled arches with leafy spandrels; bronze cresting with quatrefoils. Surrounded by railings with spear-head finials. Grace Darling became a national heroine following the wreck of the steamship Forfarshire on the Farne Islands in September 1838 when she and her father, the keeper of the Longstone Lighthouse (q.v.) rowed out and rescued 9 survivors.



Listing NGR: NU17789534961

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 237853

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing