BRIDGE BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206687
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE BUILDINGS, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:50:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE BUILDINGS, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS 45431 26488

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 BRIDGE STREET 842-1/6/20 (North side) 19/03/73 Bridge Buildings (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGE STREET (North side) Bridge Hall. The Sundial)

GV II

Council offices. 1882 by WR Bideford. Carving by H Hems of Exeter. Squared local stone rubble (rough-faced in ground storey with a marked batter below sill-level); details in Ham stone. 4 tall red brick chimneys with tops designed as entablatures, the 3 on the sides fronting Bridge Street and The Quay with pilasters strips on the sides. Plan approximately square with entrance-hall and staircase in centre of Bridge Street side. Renaissance style. 3 lofty storeys on side facing The Quay, 4 storeys to Bridge Street, 3 storeys to Allhalland Street. Main fronts to Bridge Street and The Quay of 6-window range, the 2 middle windows set in slight projections. Front to The Quay has segmental-headed ground-storey windows with moulded architraves and scroll-keystones. Continued moulded sills; entablature above window-heads. Second-storey windows flat-headed with rounded top corners, moulded surrounds and hood-moulds with carved terminals. Below them, panels of carved foliage and cartouches or, in the centre projection, half-balusters. Outer window in third storey have flat heads and moulded surrounds, being finished above eaves-level with shaped pediments. Round-arched windows in centre with moulded architraves and keystones, these flanked and separated by pilasters with carved capitals supporting an entablature and segmental pediment; the latter is a replacement of the original ogee-shaped gable with carved front and small segmental pediment. Beneath the window a pair of stringcourses forming an entablature. Bridge Street front is similar but with less regularity, since both the centre projection and the left side have 4 tiers of windows compared with 3 on the right. The centre projection is finished with a pedestal flanked by scroll-buttresses and carved with a cartouche and swags. An old photograph shows the pedestal, or its predecessor, surmounted by a segmental pediment. The shaped pediments which formerly topped the outer third-storey window have been removed. Between the second-storey windows of the centre projection is a painted sundial, described in the 1973 list as 'from earlier building'; if so, it has been very thoroughly restored. Front to Allhalland Street is plain, though with entablatures, stringcourses and continued sills carried round. INTERIOR: open-well stone staircase with iron balustrade, scrolled at the foot. Plain square-section balusters with S-scrolls fitted in between their tops. On the walls of the compartment, 4 stone coats-of-arms, one inscribed LEWIS BUCK ESQUR. MAYOR 1758. Rooms not inspected. Perkin's Almanack of 1883 (p16) describes this as Bridge Hall. 'Here are held the School of Science and Art classes; the Free Library; North Devon Permanent and Terminable Building Society, the Bridge Feoffee Meetings, etc. etc.' The builder was R T Hookway of Bideford. Plaque in entrance-hall says building 'was rebuilt at the cost of the Bridge Estate... on the site of a Bridge Hall rebuilt AD 1758 and of a Free School rebuilt AD 1657 and repaired AD 1680 and 1780 and of a Grammar School founded AD 1689'. (Granville R: History of Bideford: 1883-: P.103-5; Goaman A: Old Bideford and District: 1978-: 42, 49).

Listing NGR: SS4543726490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375733
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Goaman, M, Olde Bideford and District, (1978), 42, 49
Granville, R, History of Bideford, (1883), 103-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00029/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].