ILSHAM MANOR ORATORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206789

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-May-1994

Statutory Address: ILSHAM MANOR ORATORY, ILSHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ILSHAM MANOR ORATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 07:25:35.

Location

Statutory Address: ILSHAM MANOR ORATORY, ILSHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Torbay (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 93806 64125

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TORQUAY

SX9364 ILSHAM ROAD, Ilsham 885-1/15/404 (East side) 20/11/52 Ilsham Manor Oratory (Formerly Listed as: ILSHAM ROAD, Ilsham Chapel at Ilsham Manor)

GV II*

Premonstratensian oratory. C15 or earlier. Local grey limestone rubble with Beerstone dressings; gabled slate roof. PLAN: 3-stage tower with undercroft; first-floor oratory and probably second-floor chamber originally with ladder access from the oratory. EXTERIOR: 3 stages. South-east side has a ground-floor doorway to the undercroft to the left: modern lintel, shoulder-headed frame and door. To the right a flight of external stone steps leads up to the oratory door which has a timber lintel and a probably C15 recessed shoulder-headed pegged oak doorframe and C20 plank door. Shadow of gable above door may indicate former porch hood or, alternatively, abutting building. Small round-headed slit window above to the right lights chamber over oratory. Crude segmental-headed bellcote on gable. Left return has two 1-light windows, one to ground floor and one to second floor room. Arched second-floor window has remains of decayed, cusped tracery and a hoodmould, ground-floor window similar, without a hoodmould. Right return has similar second-floor window; one chamfered round-headed slit window to the oratory stage and a chamfered slit to the undercroft. The north-west face has a good Perpendicular 2-light window with a relieving arch, moulded frame, mullion and hoodmould and trefoil-headed cusped lights. Round-headed slit window to right. Smaller chamber window above, very decayed but formerly trefoil-headed with a square-headed hoodmould, flanked by small round-headed slit windows. INTERIOR: Undercroft not seen. Oratory has late C19 or C20 roof and splayed, hollow-chamfered segmental-headed reveals to the larger windows. Roof of oratory missing except for one chamfered crossbeam. HISTORY: Lands in Ilsham were given to the Premonstratensian Abbey of Torre in c1200 (Ellis) or 1489 (Pevsner). In the late C19 the tower stood surrounded by farmbuildings (the remnants of some still survive), with the manor house to its south-west. The Premonstratensian order was required to establish the building of oratories at their granges by Pope Gregory IX for individual members as places of retirement and a chapel at Higher Alfardisworthy, near Bradworthy, is said to be similar in function. Ellis includes late C19 drawings and photographs of the building. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.861; Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition: 1930-: P.59-67).

Listing NGR: SX9380664125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390651

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ellis, A, A Historical Survey of Torquay, (1930), 59-67
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 861
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 861

End of official listing