CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206916
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1949
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, GREAT KING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 16:44:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, GREAT KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 91396 73528

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NW GREAT KING STREET 886-1/9/88 (South side) 14/04/49 Christ Church

GV II*

Church, now maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund. 1775. Brick with stone dressings. High west tower, galleried nave expressed as 2 storeys externally, and shallow chancel. EXTERIOR: high projecting 4-stage west tower with west door in round-arched Gibbs surround. Elliptical head to window above, blind window and clock in second stage, paired ogee bell chamber lights in upper stage. Embattled parapet above cornice. North elevation has central entrance in advanced pedimented bay. Rusticated stone to this feature, with pedimented Ionic doorcase and acroteria over the pediment. 3 windows each side of the entrance on each level, each with elliptical head and interlace glazing, in moulded stone architrave. South elevation has 7 similar windows to each level. Shallow chancel has Palladian east window, with doorway each side. Round-arched doorcases to 6-panelled doors with lunettes over. High parapet over cornice throughout. Stone plinth and quoins. INTERIOR: continuous raking gallery curved around north, west and south, with panelled parapet, and carried on squared columns, possibly iron encased in timber. Organ on west gallery. Plain plaster panelling to coved ceiling. East window in enriched Ionic architrave, with stained glass dated 1854. Late C18 emblematic stained glass, and late C19 and early C20 pictorial stained glass in north aisle. Stairs to gallery in lobbies each side to east. FITTINGS: box pews. Small marble font, a scalloped basin carried on baluster pedestal, with wooden moulded lid, similar in style to that in Church of St Michael (qv). MEMORIALS: series of stone wall memorials, including memorial to Charles Roe by Bacon, signed and dated 1784. Black and white marble, with inscribed tablet surmounted by obelisk against which a figure in low relief carries a bust of Roe, and representations of the church which he endowed, his silk mill and copper works.

Listing NGR: SJ9139673528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390991
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/13470/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence Moors. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].