CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MARKET PLACE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206932 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 16:19:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MARKET PLACE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 91797 73706
SJ9173NE MARKET PLACE 886-1/10/138 (East side) 14/04/49 Church of St Michael
Parish church. C13 in origin, the exterior fabric mainly 1898-1902 but with remodelled Perpendicular tower, and 2 chapels to south of 1501-7 and 1620. Remodelled and extensively rebuilt by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Roughly coursed and squared red sandstone with ashlar tower. Stone-flagged roof. PLAN: nave with 2 aisles, clerestory and SW tower; 2 south chapels, and chancel with flanking vestries etc. EXTERIOR: west door with 5-light Perpendicular window over, with string course below ashlar gable coping. Narrow tower with heavy stepped plinth and angle buttresses, and narrow west doorway flanked by statues in niches each side. Quatrefoil frieze above the doorway and 3-light Decorated window above. Triple niche over the clock, and paired bell chamber lights, flanked by shields of arms, one recently renewed. Thin pilaster strips each side in the upper stage. Embattled parapet with gargoyles and angle pinnacles. North aisle of 6 bays divided by shallow buttresses, and with square headed Perpendicular traceried windows with continuous sill bands. Moulded cornice and parapet. Embattled parapet above shallow-arched clerestory windows. Lower eastern bay of aisle has 2 Decorated windows with transoms. 3 pointed arched windows to chancel clerestory with embattled parapet over. Large Decorated east window of 5-lights, divided by a transom. Legh Chapel projects from south aisle: hipped stone-flagged roof and circular stair tower, ornate traceried panelled porch to west. INTERIOR: mainly of 1898-1902 in a late Decorated style. Exposed stonework throughout. Nave arcade of 4 bays with additional lower bay to east now housing organ to north. Additional narrow arch to NW, with heavily buttressed wall of tower in corresponding position to south. Single respond of earlier (late C13) arcade survives to W of south arcade, a plain chamfered arch carried on corbel. Octagonal pillars with castellated moulding to capitals carry the main arcade, and foliate corbels carry wall posts for main roof trusses, the lower post of stone, timber above. Shallow cambered tie beams with castellated moulding and arched braces with shields and foliate decoration in the spandrels. Open traceried panels in between short queen posts. The principal trusses are linked by enriched shallow arched braces spanning the clerestory windows. Carved angels carry shields at base of each bay of roof. Lean-to aisles, 2 side chapels linked to the south aisle by an arcade with 2 shallow arches and steeper doorways. Remains of earlier archway now partially blocked to the west. Tomb against east wall of south aisle, Thomas Rivers, d.1694: the figure reclines in a pedimented and draped aedicule, by William Stanton, moved and repaired in 1978. Small mobile font recovered from churchyard: shallow fluted basin with enriched wooden lid carried on balustraded shaft, dated 1744. Timber pulpit, open-work base to octagonal pulpit depicting figures of saints in high relief. Semi-octagonal responds to chancel arch. Chancel up steps with low wrought-iron screen. Hammer beam roof and mosaic floor. 2 shallow arched tomb recesses to south, with deep moulding and ogee hoodmould with fleurons. Similar ogee arch to vestry doorway to south, and also to sedilia to north and south. Lower tomb recess in similar style to north. Reredos by Sir Charles Nicholson. Tombs to south of Sir John Savage the 4th (d.1495) and his wife Catherine, the 2 recumbent figures holding hands; tomb to north of an unknown knight, c1475. Legh chapel formerly the baptistery: octagonal font with blind traceried panels and green marble clustered shafts. Stained glass in south window by Shrigley and Hunt, 1903, Old and New Testament figures, linked by the theme of baptism to the lower narrative lights. Upper chamber said to have been former school room reached by staircase from Savage Chapel. Savage Chapel: 2 tomb recesses fill the lower part of the archway from the south aisle: Sir John Savage the 5th d.1492, and Sir John Savage the 6th(?). Narrow C16 doorway to chapel alongside. Canted bay for altar to east, with canopied niches in the flanking wall each side. Stained glass by Morris and Co, the Ascension, with English Saints in side lights. 2 tomb recesses in the south wall, each a deeply-moulded arch with steep pointed hoodmould with fleurons, and coats of arms carved in the apex: Sir John Savage the 7th (d.1528) and his wife - recumbent figures in a richly traceried recess with small 3-light window, also with stained glass by Morris and Co; an unknown civilian of c1500, the central part of the figure uncarved from the block. Tomb against west wall, Sir John Savage the 8th, d.1597, and his wife: 2 recumbent figures, the female at a higher level, in an aedicule, the polished shafts surmounted by obelisks each side, and figures reclining on the arch. Small wall-mounted brass, the 'Legh Pardon' brass, 1506. High south window with stained glass by Morris and Co., 1917. STAINED GLASS: in nave, aisles and chancel: chancel east window of 1910: Christ in Majesty with St Michael, Powell and Company. North aisle: the west and northwest windows by Morris and Company, 1901 and 1914; Kempe window towards the east as memorial to Boer War; eastern window in style of Kempe, and central window c1870 in pictorial style, unsigned. West nave window: a memorial to Queen Victoria, depicted enthroned in the centre with angels bearing texts each side - Powell. West window of south aisle: the Agony in the Garden, no date, possibly Morris and Co.
Listing NGR: SJ9179773706
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 26 January 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42795
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.