TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206935

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:23:10.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 91748 73738

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NE MARKET PLACE 886-1/10/142 (East side) 17/03/77 Town Hall

GV II*

Town hall, incorporating former police station. Town Hall 1823-4. By Francis Goodwin, with extensions of 1870 by James Stevens of Macclesfield. Ashlar. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9-window range, with Ionic portico projecting over the central section, with 4 unfluted columns. Central doorway in polished granite architrave within, with flanking sash windows, all with plain pilasters. This is flanked by 2 bays each side articulated by plain pilasters, and tripartite sash windows, themselves divided by plain pilasters. Similar division above, with wide central window above the doorway. High cornice and entablature. Similar portico in return elevation to Churchside, the original entrance front of 1823. Portico flanked by single tripartite sash window to 1st floor, and plain sashes to ground-floor left, with double doors to rear courtyard and flanking side door to right. Portico itself part-filled by screen wall carrying first-floor balcony and concealing external stairs leading to balcony each side. Former Borough Police Station adjoins to rear, part of the 1870 extensions. Similar style, with paired 2-pane sash windows with moulded architraves set in panelled recesses each side of central doorway. Scrolled frieze and cornice, then panelled parapet. Lettering over ground floor. INTERIOR largely as remodelled in 1870: central stair hall top lit by painted glass lantern, the stone staircase with cast-iron rails with lamps on the newels. Coffered ceiling. Council chamber and former assembly room to first floor: wall of chamber articulated by paired pilasters, painted coffered ceiling with deeply moulded cornice and recessed panels. Similar plasterwork in assembly room to rear.

Listing NGR: SJ9175073748

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391049

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing