ASHURST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207035
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1993
Statutory Address:
ASHURST, CLAREMONT ROAD
Statutory Address:
ASHURST, KIRKLEY CLIFF

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHURST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207035 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:05:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASHURST, CLAREMONT ROAD
Statutory Address:
ASHURST, KIRKLEY CLIFF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 54422 91956

Details

LOWESTOFT

TM59SW KIRKLEY CLIFF 914-1/3/51 (West side) Ashurst

II

Pair of houses, now flats. 1864 by W.O. Chambers. Rendered and whitewashed brick under slate roof. 3 storeys in 4 bays. Square plan. Rusticated quoins at corners and centre, dividing the 2 properties. Symmetrical east elevation. Pair of central 2-storey canted bays now with C20 fenestration. Right and left at each storey are 2/2 sashes; four 2/2 sashes to the attic floor under segmental heads. Hipped roof. The north return is recessed left of centre to accommodate a 4-storey square tower under a concave pyramid roof: round-arched sashes. Round-arched entrance to the west of the tower in a single-storey porch extension. Part of the extensive plan for housing originally devised in 1846 by JL Clemence for Sir Samuel Morton Peto for the development of Lowestoft as a fashionable holiday resort, made possible by the building of the railway by Peto in the 1840's.

Listing NGR: TM5442291956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391327
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15353/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Grint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].