CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207066
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:42:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 38187 58565

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3858 CHURCH BANK, Southwick 920-1/8/283 (West side) 10/11/78 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II

Parish church. 1842. By George L Jackson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Nave with west tower, chancel with north vestry. Early English style, with lancets and clasping buttresses. EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave with narrow chancel. Chancel has 3 south lights; stepped east lights with cinquefoils in spandrels. 4-bay nave with head and ballflower stops to hoodmould of paired lancets on sill string. Tower, with buttresses reducing to angle buttresses on upper stages, has ballflower-stopped hoodmould over pointed-arched west door; lancet in second stage; roundel in third; arcaded triple lancets in fourth, the outer arches blind, under parapet with corner pinnacles. High-pitched nave and chancel roofs. Vestry roof has hipped east end. INTERIOR: chancel with N vestry; nave with W gallery and W tower porch. Chamfered chancel arch on imposts with dog-tooth and roll mouldings. E window has nailhead-moulded rerearch on nookshafts; trefoil shafts between lancets. All windows have sloping reveals. Chancel has shouldered arch to vestry door; geometric-pattern tiled sanctuary floor. Painted stone altar with paintings of Evangelists in cusped panels. Renewed pulpit and communion rail (using older posts). Arch-braced chancel roof and queen-post nave roof on roll-moulded corbels. STAINED GLASS: E window to Scott family d.1864 and 1882; Chancel south: 3 lights to Agnes Collingwood d.1875, and Sarah Thompson d.1866, with Christ the Good Shepherd, Faith and Hope, signed Alex Gibbs, 21 Bloomsbury Sreet, London WC. Nave SE window also signed Alex Gibbs fecit, 1901, to Collingwood, rector, d.1898. Other C19 glass in nave includes fourth on north side a Good Samaritan commemorating Charles Pickersgill, Crown Road shipbuilding yard owner. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 28).

Listing NGR: NZ3818758565

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391414
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, Milburn, G, Buildings and Beliefs, (1984), 28

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02159/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David E Sandersfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].