CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207083
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FULWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207083.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 08:25:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FULWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39869 58254

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ35NE FULWELL ROAD 920-1/4/86 (West side) 10/11/78 Church of All Saints

GV II

Parish church. 1847-9. By John Dobson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth coping, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and finials; stone spire. Chancel with N vestry; nave with S aisle, SW spire and S porch. Early English style. Buttresses, clasping at corners. EXTERIOR: lower chancel has quatrefoil in E gable over 3 lancets stepped under continuous dripmould; sill string which continues below 3 small lancets with dripmoulds on S elevation. N vestry has lancet in stepped external chimney on N gable. Lombard frieze to chancel and N nave elevation which has tall paired lancets with sill string and continuous dripmould. S aisle under continuous roof has S lancet, paired S lights, boarded door in moulded arch of gabled porch. Square SW tower has octagonal short second and third stages, the third with shafted angles and lancet belfry openings, below short spire. Paired W lancets below large vesica; clasping NW buttress rises to square pinnacle with pyramid coping. C20 church hall obscures part of lower W elevation with lancet alongside. INTERIOR: S arcade with hoodstring over chamfered pointed acrhes on octagonal moulded capitals of round piers; high chancel arch with dogtooth moulding in two orders; west organ gallery; roof on corbelled wall-posts, nave hammerbeam, chancel braced tiebeam with queen struts. Windows have flower-ball stopped dripmoulds. Steps up to chancel and sanctuary. Original pews with shaped ends; gothic pulpit; 1926 chancel panelling and clergy prayer-desk and seat; WWII font of polished limestone with fluted bowl on slim pedestal. Stained glass includes possibly original mid-C19 in E windows with geometric bands and some high-quality mid-C20 glass in second pair from E in aisle, and first pair from E on N. Alexander Boddy, vicar from 1886 to 1922, was a founder of the pentecostal movement. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 13).

Listing NGR: NZ3986958254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391462
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, Milburn, G, Buildings and Beliefs, (1984), 13

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03181/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].