SWING BRIDGE, LOCK AND WALLS OF NORTH END OF DOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207097

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1990

Statutory Address: SWING BRIDGE, LOCK AND WALLS OF NORTH END OF DOCK, HUDSON DOCK NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWING BRIDGE, LOCK AND WALLS OF NORTH END OF DOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 17:24:26.

Location

Statutory Address: SWING BRIDGE, LOCK AND WALLS OF NORTH END OF DOCK, HUDSON DOCK NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 41023 57695

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ4157 HUDSON DOCK NORTH 920-1/13/118 (North side) 26/11/90 Swing-bridge, lock and walls of north end of Dock

GV II

Also known as: Gladstone Bridge HUDSON DOCK. Swing-bridge with walls, abutments and lock. c1875. For the River Wear Commissioners. Hydraulic machinery by Sir W Armstrong & Co., Elswick. Ashlar walls and abutments; steel lock gate, replaced 1955; riveted steel girder bridge, known as Hog-back bridge, the E end within a curved stone wall and the W end lying against an extension of that wall when the bridge is open to dock. When the bridge is closed to the dock, forming a roadway across the north end, the west end of the bridge rests on a stone abutment. Driven by engines and accumulator housed in the adjacent dock office (qv), now used as various offices. Shown on 1875 official plan of docks. An early example of a swing-bridge and of the hydraulic technology invented and developed by Sir William Armstrong. (Sinclair NT: Railways of Sunderland: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1986-: 60 (MAP)).

Listing NGR: NZ4102357695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391499

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sinclair, N T, Railways of Sunderland, (1986), 60

End of official listing