SUNNISIDE CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207148
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
SUNNISIDE CHAMBERS, 40, WEST SUNNISIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUNNISIDE CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:31:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUNNISIDE CHAMBERS, 40, WEST SUNNISIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39931 57053

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3957SE WEST SUNNISIDE 920-1/18/236 (West side) 10/11/78 No.40 Sunniside Chambers (Formerly Listed as: WEST SUNNISIDE (West side) No.40)

GV II

Offices. 1900-1902. By Henderson & Hall. Bright red brick with sandstone ashlar bands and dressings; roof of Lakeland slates with red ridge tiles, brick and ashlar chimneys, and lead dome. Art Nouveau style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 2x8 windows and corner turret; longer front to St Thomas' Street on right return. Entrance on West Sunniside has panelled door and blocked overlight in stone surround with modillioned cornice doorhood below incised panels and segment-headed top cornice. Ashlar plinth swept to street below window at right, originally 2-light but mullion removed, on sill band which is continuous with plane of door surround; bands flush with brickwork from window surround. Paired first-floor lights above this window have upper glazing bars to sashes set well back in plain surrounds, with bands at transom, head and voussoir levels and alternate ashlar and brick voussoirs and high keystone. Top floor ashlar above sill band of 2 lights in plain surround alternating with 3 recessed panels. Corner turret at right projects from first-floor level on corbelled wide ashlar bracket; single narrow lights on 3 floors, third floor tapered and the whole perhaps showing entasis; bands continue from front and around bracket to return. Steeply-pitched hipped roof, interrupted by turret, has wide modillioned eaves projecting to plane of turret; turret has ogee octagonal roof with wide modillioned eaves and top disc-and-spike finial. Tall chimneys on ridge of right return. Front to St Thomas' Street has higher eaves in first bay adjacent to turret, projecting right end bay, central wide entrance with altered fascia flanked by mullioned lights. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1983-: 15).

Listing NGR: NZ3993157053

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391645
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 15

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/13886/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].