THE OLD MEETING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207181
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
THE OLD MEETING HOUSE, MILL WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MEETING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207181 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 03:57:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD MEETING HOUSE, MILL WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 53604 61143

Details

MANSFIELD

SK5361 MILL WALK 924-1/5/74 The Old Meeting House 19/12/55 (Formerly Listed as: MILL WALK Unitarian Church)

II*

Unitarian church. 1702, with alterations and additions 1870, 1882 and c1930. Coursed rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. C20 concrete porch. Plinth and quoins to main block. Square main block, 2 storeys; 4-window range. Front has 4 single-light windows with leaded glazing. Below, 4 tall single-light transomed windows, the central ones partly covered by porch. Porch has plinth, cornice and coped parapet. Rebated central doorway with hood and double doors, flanked by single narrow windows. At either end, a single window. Each side of main block has 4 stone mullioned cross casements. Rear, now chancel, has a moulded round window flanked by single stone-mullioned cross casements. East side has to right a hipped projection with a single stone mullioned window, and a round-arched door in the return angle. Side wall stack. At the north-west corner, a hipped addition with a C19 board door flanked to right by a single-light transomed window. INTERIOR has shallow chancel with 2 moulded round arches on a square wooden post with moulded capital. Panelled ceiling with roundels. Single round arch at each end, that to left containing organ. In the centre, 2 gabled round-headed niches containing inscribed tablets, surrounded by a wrought-iron railing and flanked by stained-glass windows, 1892, by Swaine & Bourne. Main space has central lengthwise arcade with 3 round arches springing from the chancel arcade, with similar square wooden columns. Panelled cross beam ceiling with brackets. Panelled dado. At the rear, 2 plain round-headed doors with pedimented wooden doorcases, linked by panelled frieze. Side windows have stained glass, 3 of the windows by Morris & Co., 1913, 1928 and 1929. Others late C19, early and mid C20. Porch has plywood panelling and 3-bay ceiling with round rooflights. FITTINGS: C18 octagonal oak pulpit with fielded panels, and C18 Parliament clock by Thomas Haley of Norwich. Late C19 choir stalls and benches. MEMORIALS: small C19 and C20 tablets, one of them to William Hollins of Pleasley Vale, a major benefactor of this church, and manufacturer of Viyella fabric. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 169).

Listing NGR: SK5360461143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391732
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 169

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15214/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].