This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1207210



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Morecambe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391815

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD4364 CHURCH STREET, Morecambe 939-1/5/31 Parish Church of The Holy Trinity 06/04/79


Church. 1841 by Edmund Sharpe, with south aisle added 1866. Squared coursed sandstone with green slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, south aisle, and lower chancel. On the north side is a transept, with a lower vestry in the angle with the chancel. In the angle between the main church and the chancel on the south side is a short gabled projection and a lean-to porch. The tower is of 3 storeys with clasping buttresses and corner pinnacles and has a pointed west doorway. Above are 3 narrow lancets. There are clock faces on the west and south sides. The bell openings are triple stepped lancets, with the parapets rising in a triangle above. The north wall of the nave is of 6 bays separated by buttresses and has paired lancets. The south wall is of 7 bays separated by buttresses and has windows of 2 pointed lights with foiled circles over, with the parapet rising as a coping to form a gable over each window. The east window is of 5 lancet lights with the tall central light flanked by foiled circles. The interior has exposed bolted queen post trusses ceiled at collar level, the south wallplate carried on a 7-bay arcade of slender timber octaonal columns with caps and bases and with curved braces rising to the plate. The west gallery has a panelled front and an organ which appears to have a C20 casing with re-set Royal arms. The chancel, which may be of a later date than the nave, has a pointed sandstone arch flanked by narrower arches, and an open timber roof with collars and arch-braced tie beams. (178; Bingham R K: Lost Resort?: 99).

Listing NGR: SD4398464637

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bingham, R K, Lost Resort?99

National Grid Reference: SD 43984 64637


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 03:38:23.

End of official listing