TULKETH MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207235

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1991

Statutory Address: TULKETH MILL, BALCARRES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TULKETH MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207235 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:23:27.

Location

Statutory Address: TULKETH MILL, BALCARRES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 52366 30912

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD53SW BALCARRES ROAD 941-1/1/17 (East side) Tulketh Mill

GV II

Cotton mill, now mail-order warehouse and offices. 1905. Cast-iron columns, steel beams, concrete floors, with cladding of red brick and some yellow brick, asphalt roof (currently under repair with composition coating). Very large rectangular plan on north-south axis, plus: staircase and sprinkler tower on west side, office block in angle south of this, stair-turret at north-west corner, extractor duct turret at south-east corner, and large engine house attached at right-angles to main range on the north side of this. Five storeys over basement, 4 x 12 bays, with pilasters between the bays (panelled at the top stage), and a parapet with upstands over the pilasters; large rectangular windows filling each bay on each floor, all with 11-pane glazing and 3-course yellow brick heads (those at the top floor linked in a continuous band). The tower (between the 6th and 9th bays from the south end), has a shallow 3-storey toilet block projected on the west side, with a ramped parapet, but is otherwise square, with pilastered corners, and rises 2 stages above the roof of the mill, with a cornice between the upper and lower of these, the upper having .3 yellow bands, a keyed oculus and large white brick lettering "TULKETH" in each side; and a squat octagonal spire clad with red tiles. The office block south of the tower, a rectangular flat-roofed single-storey range, has yellow bands, a cornice raised as a pediment over a round-headed doorway to the left, a canted bay window at the south end, 3 windows between these, and a parapet with a panel in the centre lettered "OFFICES". The north-west turret has 2 windows on each floor, those in the side staggered. The south-east turret has blind windows. The engine house, 3 storeys, 7 x 3 bays, has square windows, tall round-headed windows with keystones and radiating glazing bars, and keyed oculi, on successive levels. Base of west tower has foundation stone laid by Mayoress Mrs Margerison, May 1905. INTERIOR: former engine house has substant:ial remains of cream and green patterned glazed tiling.

Listing NGR: SD5236630912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391890

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing