ASHTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207314

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1991

Statutory Address: ASHTON HOUSE, PEDDER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 06:59:54.

Location

Statutory Address: ASHTON HOUSE, PEDDER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 51143 30236

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD53SW PEDDER LANE, Ashton On Ribble 941-1/1/312 (West side) Ashton House

GV II

Formerly known as: Ashton Lodge PEDDER LANE Ashton On Ribble. Large house, now day care centre. Probably c.1810, enlarged and remodelled c.1850. Sandstone ashlar with brick rear walls, slate roofs. Formerly U-plan with side wings, modified by incorporation of rear courtyard and additions to rear. Two storeys; a symmetrical tripartite composition with a 5-window main range and 2-window wings linked to the rear corners; with a plinth, 1st-floor band carried round, plain frieze and moulded cornice with blocking course. The main range has a central 3-window segmental bow (enclosed at ground floor by an added rusticated and pilastered 3-bay porch with rounded corners and round-headed doorway and side windows), 2 tall windows at ground floor recessed in segmental headed arches with splayed voussoirs, and 5 shorter windows at 1st floor with raised sills; and a shallow hipped roof. Behind the ridge is a prominent rectangular added lantern which has a very large semicircular window in each side, with radiating mullions and glazing bars, all set in open-pedimented gables, and tall side-wall chimneys. The return walls have 5 windows on each floor. The side wings, treated as pedimented pavilions with narrow linking bays, each have a tripartite window at ground floor of the front and side walls, a round-headed doorway and side windows at ground floor of the link, and plain windows above. All the windows now have C20 glazing. INTERIOR: central well (formerly open yard), with ornamental cast-iron balustrade to balcony, and very elaborate decoration including pilastered arcading and coffered barrel-vaulting; elaborate decoration in various rooms. History: residence of Pedder family, founders of Preston's first bank, and probably remodelled by Edward Pedder who inherited in 1846 and died in 1861, when it was discovered that he had used bank funds for private purposes. Has similarities with design by Soane for unnamed villa in Lancashire (drawing in RIBA collection). Forms group with former coach-house (etc) opposite (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5114330236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 392109

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 25 Lancashire,

End of official listing