FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL (NOW RED ROSE RADIO)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207331

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL (NOW RED ROSE RADIO), ST PAULS SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL (NOW RED ROSE RADIO)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 08:29:56.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL (NOW RED ROSE RADIO), ST PAULS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 54340 29789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD5429NW ST PAUL'S SQUARE 941-1/10/265 former Church of St Paul (now 28/03/77 Redrose Radio)

II

Church, now local radio station. 1823-5, Thomas Rickman and Hutchinson; enlarged and renovated 1882; altered. Sandstone ashlar; roof now tiled. Early English style, with lancet windows throughout. Rectangular plan under 3-span roof, plus chancel and attached offices. The nave is embraced by full-height aisles, forming a tripartite west front with a gabled centre framed by octagonal turrets, and narrow parapeted side pieces with diagonal buttresses. The centre has at ground floor a 3-bay arcade of 2-centred blank arches with hoodmoulds which have figured stops, a chamfered window in each arch, 3 stepped lancets above with linked hoodmoulds run out as an impost band, a small circular window above these, and a parapeted gable with apex cross. The flanking turrets have tall and very slender open arcading, cornices, and embattled caps surmounted by tall pinnacles with carved quatrefoil finials. Each side piece has one tall lancet with a hoodmould, and a parapet and shallow hipped roof. The 7-bay sides have buttresses, a 2-centred arched doorway in the 1st bay with a window above, and tall coupled lancets in the other bays, all these openings with hoodmoulds which have figured and foliated stops. The 2-bay chancel (altered as garage at ground floor) has an east window of 3 tall stepped lancets with foliated shafts, and pinnacles like those at the front; and flanking one-bay offices in similar style. INTERIOR: remodelled but retains aisle arcades of very tall slender clustered shafts with moulded caps and roll-moulded 2-centred arches, and at ground floor of west end a 3-bay arcade of polished columns with carved foliated caps.

Listing NGR: SD5434029789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 392157

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing