TQ68NW LITTLE WARLEY HALL LANE
723-1/11/223 Little Warley
21/10/58 Church of St Peter
(Formerly Listed as:
WARLEY HALL LANE, Little Warley
Church of St Peter)
Church. C15, C16, 1718, 1895. Ragstone, brick, peg-tiled roof.
Simple equal width nave and chancel, W tower.
EXTERIOR: S elevation: nave: ragstone wall with large area
repaired in C18 red brick at W end. 2 similar C15 2-centre
arched headed windows each of 2 cinquefoiled lights and
supermullions with trefoils, between them C15 S doorway with
2-centred arch with double hollow moulded jambs and cavetto
moulded label, door old oak boarded, tongue and grooved with
cyma mouldings. Timber-framed and brick projecting door porch
in late medieval style with 5 side lights, embattled plates
may be original, outer work C19 or early C20. East nave window
has, to the W, a ragstone buttress, to E a shallow projection
of ragstone with upper C16 or C17 brickwork enclosing the rood
stair. Chancel: lower than the nave, C16 red brick with
rectangular 2-light window with cinquefoiled heads - exterior
restored. 2 brick buttresses, one diagonal on SE corner. W
tower rebuilt in 1718 (datestone on W face) in chequered
brickwork on old ragstone footings, buttressed corners and
simple louvred belfry opening. Parapet on slight corbel-table.
N elevation: nave: ragstone, C16 or C17 repair in red brick to
W end with supporting buttress. Windows similar to S elevation
but W window half removed and opening blocked by the repair
brickwork. N door, 2-centred with hollow chamfer blocked by
early C18 brickwork. 2 buttresses, putlog holes in ragstone
wall filled with flint blocks. Chancel: C16 brick wall, blank
with contemporary central buttress and 2 C19 heavy buttresses
each side. W tower similar to S elevation.
E end elevation: all C19, yellow brick with accompanying
diagonal buttress on N corner, triple lancet windows with
continuous label. W elevation: tower, diagonal buttressed,
ground floor, 2-centre head window, single mullion and
transom, cement rendered reveals above, date-stone, 2 slit
vents, belfry opening and parapet as on S elevation.
INTERIOR: nave, rood loft stair with upper and lower doorways
(2-centre heads) , 2 bayed crown-post roof, crown-post square
with square fillets, 4-way braced, moulded cornice and
tie-beam. Parts of medieval pews, mainly handrails rebuilt at
W end, mainly box-pews c1600, framed and panelled, dentilled
cornices, C17 pulpit (3 sides survive), dentilled cornice with
pendants of bobbin work and decorative sunk panels. Simple
font, marble bowl, oolite pedestal in C17 style. Chancel arch
C16, 2-centred with 2 chamfered orders.
MONUMENTS: in chancel, N side, Sir Denner Strutt and Dorothye
his wife 1641, alabaster and marble altar tomb, recumbent
effigies, wife behind and above husband, big baldacchino with
putti lifting the curtains. S side, of Mary (Chapman) wife of
Sir Denner Strutt Bart. 1658, alabaster and marble altar tomb,
woman in shroud, semi-reclining. S wall, brass of Anne Wolley
1592, half figure in ruff. Nave N wall, in blocked N doorway,
Time, alabaster, found in the churchyard. Monumental slabs in
floor of central aisle.
(RCHM: SE Essex : Monument 1: 89; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Essex: 1965-: 286).
Listing NGR: TQ6044188650