HARDCASTLE GARTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207473
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
HARDCASTLE GARTH, B6165

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARDCASTLE GARTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 19:24:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARDCASTLE GARTH, B6165

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Hartwith cum Winsley
National Grid Reference:
SE 22640 60454

Details

HARTWITH-CUM-WINSLEY B 6165 SE 26 SW (south side, off)

9/79 Hardcastle Garth 6.3.67 - II

House and cross wing, now 2 houses. Dated 1666 and 1703. For members of the Hardcastle family. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roofs. The 2 houses form an L-plan: the northern house being earlier and of 2 storeys and 3 bays with probably lobby-entry plan, and the west wing of 2 storeys and 3 bays but an end stack plan. Both have plinth and quoins. Northern house: studded board door to right of centre bay in moulded quoined surround with deep lintel cut to shallow Tudor-style arch on which the inscription 'I 1666 H' is cut in raised letters on a 3-part panel. Far left: probably a 4-light recessed-chamfered mullion window, converted to a door mid C18 and reformed as a window C19 or C20. 4- and 3-light recessed- chamfered mullion windows flank door; 3 similar 3-light windows to first floor and single-light trefoil-headed window above door. Continuous hoodmould over ground-floor windows with label stop to right; left end obscured by later attached wing. Large ridge stack above door, stepped external stack to left gable, end stack right. West wing, east front: centred half-glazed 4-panel door under 4-central pointed arch w:Lth cyma moulding to lintel and jambs. Incised inscription on lintel: ' H ' T L 1703 Door flanked by 4-light (now 3-light) double-chamfered mullion windows. Three 2-light windows to first floor, mullions removed; central window probably inserted, far right formerly of 3 lights. Continuous hoodmould to ground floor. Shaped kneelers, gable coping, corniced end stacks. Interior not inspected at resurvey. The later house was probably built as a wing of the 1666 house, the service rooms being only in the earlier house, with internal access between. B Jennings (Ed), A History of Nidderdale, 1867, p 116 etc. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Building Study Group Report No 176, (1975).

Listing NGR: SE2264060454

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
331208
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1867)
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 176, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/07217/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Dallimore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].