Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 09:50:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TA 09368 29089



TA0929SW ALBION STREET 680-1/17/16 (North side) Central Public Library


Public library. 1900, with additions 1930 and c1960. By JS Gibson. Ashlar and brick, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof with single coped side wall and gable stacks. Early C18 style. Plinth, string courses, modillion eaves cornice, coped gable. 2 storeys; 5-window range. Projecting gabled ashlar centre has a round-arched 9-light cross mullioned window set in a recess with wrought-iron balustrade. On either side, double Ionic angle pilasters with shall niches between them. Above, a shell niche with moulded surround, containing a female figure. On the ground floor, steps to a splayed entrance with 2 Ionic piers in antis, and an entablature with a sculpted coat of arms with supporters in the frieze. On either side, segment-headed shouldered recess. Half-glazed double door. Beyond, on either side, two 24-pane sashes with projecting surrounds and corniced keystones, with semicircular stone balconies on brackets and wrought-iron railings. Below, on either side, 2 round-headed recesses containing paired 12-pane sashes. Beyond, to right, an octagonal corner tower, 3 stages, topped with an octagonal dome. Lower stage has 2 segment-headed recesses with 10-pane sashes, and middle stage has 2 shouldered segment-headed 18-pane sashes with moulded surrounds, corbelled sills, keystones and cornices. Upper stage has 4 segmental pedimented openings with linked cornices and detached columns on corbels. Rear addition, to Baker Street, 1930, has ashlar ground floor, brick first floor and pantile mansard roof. 2 storeys plus attics; 4-window range. Beyond, on either side, a single-storey wing with a round-arched window and scroll keystone. INTERIOR has an original first-floor reading room with plaster barrel vault and central saucer dome. Central double doors with stained-glass panels. In the centre, original fitted bookcases and cupboards. At each end, original metal bookstacks on 2 levels, linked by an arched bridge spanning the central bay. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 273).

Listing NGR: TA0936829089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 273


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03890/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].