BARCLAYS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207522
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
BARCLAYS BANK, 47, WOOD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARCLAYS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207522 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:02:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARCLAYS BANK, 47, WOOD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratford-upon-Avon
National Grid Reference:
SP 20147 54992

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW WOOD STREET 604-1/10/266 (North side) 25/10/51 No.47 Barclays Bank (Formerly Listed as: WOOD STREET No.45A) (Formerly Listed as: WOOD STREET No.46 Barclays Bank)

GV II

Market House, now bank. 1821 incorporating c1640 building refronted in C18; 1860s enclosing of ground floor; converted to bank 1908. By William Thompson, builder William Izod. Stucco with ashlar dressings. 2 storeys; 3-window facade with rounded angles to corner of Bridge Street and single-window returns to Wood Street and Henley Street. Top cornice and parapet with clock tower. Entrance has large doorcase with impost course, key and segmental pediment fanlight over paired 3-fielded-panel doors. Windows have sills; round-headed windows originally open arches until 1860s, with 3-light transomed wooden glazing, those to returns with small flanking windows; 1st floor has windows with similar glazing. Rainwater head with cherub. Cupola has square base and canted angles, panelled faces with 4-face clock and round-headed openings to angles; top entablature, copper cupola and wind vane with Shakespeare crest. 3-storey-with-attic, 2-window range to Wood Street: brick with internal timber-frame and tile roof; right-angle plan. Platt band over 1st and 2nd floors and Dutch gable. Windows have rubbed brick flat arches over 9-pane horned sashes to ground floor, 12-pane horned sashes to upper floors; attic has window with 2-light leaded casement. Good rainwater head. Some exposed timber-frame to left return and C20 two-storey addition to rear. HISTORICAL NOTE: the market hall of Stratford until 1908, replacing a C16 building. It occupies one of the most important sites in Stratford, on the corner of Wood Street, Henley Street and Union Street and closing the view up Bridge Street. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 16-7, 62).

Listing NGR: SP2014754992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366467
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 16-7 62

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14233/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].