LITTLE HYDE FARM COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207659

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: LITTLE HYDE FARM COTTAGES, 1 AND 2, LITTLE HYDE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE HYDE FARM COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207659 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:28:26.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE HYDE FARM COTTAGES, 1 AND 2, LITTLE HYDE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Brentwood (District Authority)

Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning

National Grid Reference: TL 65565 00727

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TL60SE LITTLE HYDE LANE, Ingatestone 723-1/3/405 (South side) 20/02/76 Nos.l AND 2 Little Hyde Farm Cottages (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD LITTLE HYDE ROAD, Ingatestone No.1 Cottage and No.2 Cottage) GV II

House, now 2 cottages. Early C15, extended in late C16, C19 and C20. Timber-framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing E, with late C16 stack in right bay against front wall, and C19 stack against it to right. 2-bay parlour/solar cross-wing to left, with C18 stack at front left corner, and C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left. Late C16 2-bay cross-wing to right, replacing service bay of original hall range. C20 single-storey lean-to extensions to rear of both cross-wings and hall range. Hall range of one storey with attic; left cross-wing of 2 storeys, right cross-wing similar but with attic occupied. No.2 cottage has the C16 stack and that part of the hall which is to the rear of it, and everything to the left; No.1 has the remainder. No.1 has a C20 square bay with hipped roof; all other windows are C20 casements, including one in a gabled dormer in the left bay of the hall. No.2 has a plain boarded door, and a flat canopy over it and the adjacent window. No.1 has a C20 half-glazed door and flat canopy at the right side. Weatherboarded dado. Plain bargeboards. INTERIOR: the left cross-wing is jettied to the front, with 2 original plain brackets and exposed joists of horizontal section. In the hall the studding and display bracing at the 'high end' are exposed and complete, with large-diameter peg-holes for a former fixed bench, a mortice for a former draught screen beside the original doorway to the solar, doorhead missing. Floor in hall inserted 1565 for which there is documentary evidence (Essex Record Office) with chamfered axial beam with step stops cut back at the corners of the stops, joists plastered to the soffits. Large wood-burning hearth, originally about 3m wide; with 0.33m jambs and a chamfered mantel beam with one plain stop and one convex stop; interior reduced with C20 brickwork. The room above is wholly plastered to the collars except the wallplates, which do not exhibit any evidence of the original window or shuttering arrangements. The left cross-wing has a chamfered binding beam and middle storey posts with mitred stops; 2 solid braces 0.11m wide; heavy plain joists jointed to the binding beam with unrefined central tenons. C20 grate in corner stack. The room above is plastered except for 2 chamfered arched braces 0.09m wide to the central tie-beam. Roof difficult to access, reported to retain the original crownpost structure. The right cross-wing has jowled posts, exposed plain joists (some of reused timber) of horizontal section in the rear bay, and a C20 grate. Most surfaces are plastered; no evidence is visible of whether there was a jetty originally. Each wallplate has a simple tenoned and splayed scarf, an unusual type in Essex, although common elsewhere. Clasped purlin roof with wind-bracing of reversed curvature, rare in Essex, familiar in the east Midlands. HISTORICAL NOTE: this house is well documented in the Petre archives as Campers, with a holding of 10 acres. The page of the 1556 survey relating to it is missing, but it is mentioned repeatedly in court rolls from 1561 to 1582. In 1565 the tenant Thomas Springfield, a carpenter, was ordered to build 'a loft or flower on the hall ....... with joists and boards', and in 1575 he was ordered to repair the house, and again in 1580. The re-use of timber for joists, and the use of unfamiliar scarf joints and wind-bracing, probably indicates that the right cross-wing was built during his tenancy, 1565 to c1601, and that he was a carpenter trained in another part of England. The Walker map of 1601 shows the house much as it is now - a hall range with the door at end and a brick stack immediately to left of it, a window near the left end, and 2-storey cross-wings, all with tiled roofs. Clearly the stack was inserted to left of the cross-entry, with the hearth facing to left, and the cross- entry was not blocked until a second stack was built against it when it was converted to cottages in the C19. The upper part of the hall, although floored in 1565, was not lit by a dormer until after 1601; the upper section of the window would have given some light at floor level (Essex Record Office, Edwards and Newton, 1984). Although much of the structure is concealed by plaster, this building appears to have remained structurally unaltered since the end of the C16, having escaped the destructive alterations characteristic of the Georgian period, as seen, for instance, at Murcocks, Back Lane (qv). It deserves careful treatment in any future renovation. (Essex Record Office: D/Dp M.99-101: 8; Edwards AC and Newton KC: The Walkers of Hanningfield, Surveyors & Mapmakers Extraordinary: 1984-: PLATE XXXVI).



Listing NGR: TL6556500727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 373685

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Edwards, A C, Newton, K C , The Walkers of Hanningfield, (1984)

End of official listing