MAYGOTTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207734
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1992
Statutory Address:
MAYGOTTS, MILL GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAYGOTTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 15:43:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAYGOTTS, MILL GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Ingatestone and Fryerning
National Grid Reference:
TL 63866 01010

Details

INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TL6OSW MILL GREEN ROAD 723-1/2/549 (South West side) 07 /12/92 Maygotts

GV II House. Early C15, extended in C20. Timber-framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay cross-wing facing NE, of hall house formerly extending to NW C20 extension to rear, single-storey lean-to to left, and series of C20 extensions to right bringing the whole to an irregular half-H plan. 2 storeys. All windows are C20 casements. C20 door at front of gabled porch. The roof has a gablet hip to the rear, enclosed by the C20 extension. INTERIOR: jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces trenched to the outside. To rear of the middle left post, on the lower storey, 2 studs have been removed to make a doorway, and one stud and 2 grown knees have been introduced. Grooves for sliding shutters in the soffits of the bressumer and front tie-beam, blocked with plaster. In the right wall, on the lower storey, original doorway immediately behind front corner post, with chamfered 3-centered arched head, and mortice and former draught screen in rear doorpost. 2 studs removed to make a later doorway. Carpenters' assembly marks number this series from I to X, front to back, including the middle post as V, with a gap for a blocked original doorway at the far end. Heavy joists of horizontal section jointed to the binding beam with unrefined central tenons, complete except for one replaced joist at rear left; blocked original stair strap against right wall immediately to rear of binding beam, which has mortices and a wattle groove for a former partition between the bays. Cambered tie-beam, arched braces to it missing. Crownpost roof complete. Plain square crownpost with 2 arched axial braces to collar-purlin in front bay, tenoned to hip rafter at rear. The form of this cross-wing is unusual, in that the evidence of a former partition between the bays on the ground floor may suggest that it was a service wing, but the positions of the 2 doorways and draught screen indicate that it must have been the parlour/solar wing, divided for a reason unknown, perhaps because the missing service end was used for a shop or trading purpose. HISTORICAL NOTE: this house is recorded in the Petre archives as Maggots. A survey of 1556 gives the length as 40 feet (5 feet longer than the present house), 18 feet wide (the cross-wing is 18 feet 6 inches long internally, measured on the ground floor), and 9 feet high to the eaves (which must be of the former hall range), with a partly tiled roof. It had a detached kitchen with a tiled roof, 20 x 13 x 7 feet high to the eaves, a thatched barn 33 x 13 x 7 feet high to the eaves, a thatched barn 33 x 13 x 8 feet to the eaves, and a holding of 16 acres. It is mentioned in court rolls in 1570,1578,1579 and 1601. It is illustrated in the Walker map of 1601 as a low hall range with central door and brick chimney, one window to each side, and a 2-storey cross-wing to left, the roofs tiled, then with a holding of 19 acres. (Essex Record Office: D/DP M.170, M.96-101).



Listing NGR: TL6386601010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373693
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].