WESTERN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207773
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
WESTERN HOUSE, COTHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESTERN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:24:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
WESTERN HOUSE, COTHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58196 73920

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873NW COTHAM ROAD, Cotham 901-1/4/1166 (North side) 01/11/66 Western House (Formerly Listed as: COTHAM ROAD (North side) University Board Office and No.1)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Western College COTHAM ROAD. Congregationalist college, now offices. 1905-6. By Henry Dare Bryan. Limestone ashlar, ashlar stacks and tiled roof with shingled lanterns. Butterfly plan with 3 linked single-depth blocks. Arts and Crafts style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 11-window range. A wide symmetrical front with angled wings to a central porch with flanking octagonal towers and a gabled hall behind. A keyed semicircular-arched doorway has Jacobean Doric columns with strapwork lower sections, a Doric entablature and 2-leaf oak doors. Above is a 4-light mullion window flanked by Jacobean-style pilasters to a pulvinated frieze and cornice, and tall parapet. The towers have a cornice with spouts on grotesque head corbels and an openwork parapet, with steep pyramidal shingle-hung roofs with lead finials. Behind is the hall gable with a small 3-light window, and a large shingle-hung louvred ridge topped by an octagonal one with a weather vane. Ground-floor stone mullion and 2 transom leaded casements, with 6-light widows either side of the porch, and 9-light windows in the wings; one window in from the ends are wide canted bays that extend up through the overhanging eaves, with a central 9-light window on both floors, to a parapet and a tile-hung dormer; on the ridge behind are small lanterns. The end gables have octagonal clasping buttresses with barleysugar tops and ball finials, large external stacks with tiled bases to 3 diagonally-set stacks, small panels carved with an open book, and lion-head gutter spouts. The rear gable of the hall has a large mullion and transom window. INTERIOR: fine and complete, a full-height aisled central hall with a timber gallery on elliptical arches and carved Doric columns, to a semicircular vaulted roof with vine-carved ribs; 3/4 panelled wainscotting throughout, with good doorcases to the rear of the hall with fluted pilasters to a segmental pediment; stair hall to the left has an open-well stair with a pulvinated uncut string, strapwork carving, turned balusters and square newels, and a panelled ceiling; the Common Room has a wide Tudor arch with stopped jambs above a small Tudor-arched fireplace, and a fitted dresser with a dentil cornice; Tudor-arched fireplaces in other rooms; 1/2-glazed doors; the service block to the rear has 2 built-in dressers, a tiled pantry and a 'Gradient' range. A fine example in this style by a distinguished local architect, and considered to be Bristol's best Arts and Crafts building. (The Builder: 1905-: 276; Gray A S: Edwardian Architecture: London: 1985-: 126).

Listing NGR: ST5819673920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379457
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gray, A S, Edwardian Architecture A Biographical Dictionary, (1985), 126
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1905), 276

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06899/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].