CHAPEL OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207789
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Sep-1992
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST LAWRENCE, ST LAWRENCE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 06:18:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST LAWRENCE, ST LAWRENCE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashburton
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 75713 69846

Details

ASHBURTON

SX7569 ST LAWRENCE LANE 849-1/10/168 (East side) 07/08/51 Chapel of St Lawrence (Formerly Listed as: ST LAWRENCE LANE (East side) St Lawrence's Tower, Old Grammar School)

GV II*

Chantry Chapel, converted to Grammar School 1593-1983. C13; tower added early C16; nave rebuilt mid C18; schoolrooms added late C19 and 1911. Solid rendered walls; tower has buttresses, quoins and parapets of exposed granite. Late C19 schoolroom in limestone with red-brick dressings. 1911 schoolroom in limestone and granite. Slated roofs. Nave, W tower. Late C19 schoolroom at E end 1911 schoolrooms on S side. 3-stage tower with setback buttresses; NW stair turret. Pointed-arched W doorway with half-round and hollow mouldings; above it a 3-light window with 4-centred arch, the lights with cinquefoiled heads. Second stage has single-light windows with segmental arches; similar 2-light belfry openings in third stage. Parapet with battlements and finials. Small spire with weather-vane. Nave has on each side 3 round-arched windows with glazing-bars; heavily-moulded eaves-cornice. East wall (covered by late C19 schoolroom) has a blocked triple-lancet window. Late C19 schoolroom has pointed-arched windows with glazing-bars. 1911 schoolroom is in a version of the Tudor style with plain mullioned windows. Interior: nave has good rococo plasterwork: coats-of-arms on the walls in foliated surrounds, cornice with pendants. W gallery with C18 turned balusters. Around the walls, school benches with Gothic panelled fronts. The chapel was given to the Guild of St Lawrence, Ashburton, by Bishop Stapledon of Exeter in 1314. The chantry priest appears to have kept a school here and still did so when the chantry was dissolved in 1546. The maintenance of the school was a condition of the grant of 1593 to John Caunter and others. (Dartmoor National Park: The Chapel of St Lawrence, Ashburton (leaflet): 1988-).

Listing NGR: SX7571369846

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376146
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dartmoor National Park The Chapel of St Lawrence Ashburton, (1988)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12250/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].