- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- DUNSTEAD'S FARMHOUSE, TRUELOVES LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207812 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:13:42.
- Statutory Address:
- DUNSTEAD'S FARMHOUSE, TRUELOVES LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Brentwood (District Authority)
- Ingatestone and Fryerning
- National Grid Reference:
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TRUELOVES LANE, Ingatestone Dunstead's Farmhouse
GV II House. c1400, altered in C16, extended in C17, early C19 and C20. Timber-framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range facing SW, comprising a 2-bay hall with a late C16 axial stack in the shorter right bay, and a parlour/solar bay to left; the original service end to the right has been demolished, replaced by a large C20 extension, partly weatherboarded. Early C17 2-bay extension in front of parlour/solar bay, with internal stack at the junction. Early C19 cross-wing to left of this extension and the main range. 2 storeys. 3 extensions to rear, one being a single-storey lean-to, the others of 2 storeys, one with a flat roof. The left elevation of the early C19 cross-wing has on the first floor one original window of 2 casements of 6 lights and 6 fixed lights, with chamfered mullions and a jointed and, pegged frame, and one similar window with one casement replaced. To rear of the solar is an C18 casement of 3+9+3 lights. All other windows are C20 casements. C20 half-glazed door with sidelights in C20 extension. INTERIOR: the main range has jowled posts and heavy studding with curved braces trenched to the outside. The rear wall of the hall is exposed but much altered, the post of the open truss severed about 3m above ground level, only 3 original studs below the girt, none above the girt, but some timbers reused to form a staircase gallery. Late C16 inserted floor in left bay, comprising a chamfered axial-beam, chamfered joists of vertical section with lamb's tongue stops supported on pegged clamps, and wide rebated hardwood boards. Wide wood-burning hearth with 2 L-shaped recesses in the rear wall, the right one retaining an original rebated wooden frame, a rare feature; mantel beam replaced, jambs and brickwork above the beam rebuilt in C20. At the left end of the hall the 'high end' partition is intact, with peg-holes for a fixed bench, and a blocked doorway at the front end; above the inserted floor are curved display braces (one restored) and much original wattle and daub infill. Steeply cambered tie-beam in open truss, chamfered in 2 orders, with one original chamfered brace O.11m wide; rear end severed to clear staircase gallery, and one curved brace introduced. The original cross-entry to right of the stack is now a bathroom, all framing concealed. In the parlour/solar bay some of the original plain joists of horizontal section remain, but raised about 0.10m, others replaced; some evidence of a former stair-trap in rear left corner. In the front wall, on the upper storey, a section of original wattle and daub is exposed behind glass. The rear wallplate is splinted with forelock bolts. Much of the roof of the hall has been rebuilt in the C20, leaving 2 rafter couples and collars at the left end; the rear wallplate has been severed at the same point to clear the staircase gallery. What remains is heavily smoke-blackened from the wood fire of an open hall, with 'shadows' of the former collar-purlin, and an empty mortice for an axial brace to it. In addition the apices of the rafters are charred by an accidental fire on their upper surfaces, which suggests burning thatch. The panels of wattle and daub in the partition to left have been scrubbed to remove some of the smoke-blackening, and some panels replaced with clean wattle and daub, which suggests that the fire occurred no later than the C16. The crownpost roof of the solar bay is almost intact, except for a missing axial brace at the right end; at the left end the collar-purlin is tenoned to the hip rafter of an original gablet hip. The early C17 wing to the front of it has primary straight bracing and heavy studding, unjowled posts, a chamfered axial beam with runout stops, plain joists of vertical section, original butt-edged hardwood floorboards, and a clasped purlin roof with curved wind-bracing. A wide wood-burning hearth has 0.33m jambs, a chamfered mantel beam with plain stops which do not coincide with the jambs, indicating that this is its second use, and in the rear left corner an inserted bread oven. The upper part of the stack blocks an unglazed window in the front wall of the solar. In the early C19 cross-wing to the left heavy oak joists have been introduced in the C20. On the upper floor is an original 5-panel door to a closet, the top panel glazed. HISTORICAL NOTE: Dunstead's Farm is documented in the Petre archives as Besses, Byggs and Hylls Farm. A survey of 1556 records a house 42 x 20 feet & 13 feet high to the eaves, partly tiled, with a stable, sheton, barn and holding of 30 acres. The court roll of 1555 records that Edward Brown, glazier, has not repaired the timber and thatch of his tenement, which may relate to the accidental fire damage noted. The house is illustrated in the Walker map of 1601 as a single 2-storey range with a door to right of centre, a brick stack immediately left of it, one window on each floor to right of door, 2 windows on each floor to left, with a tiled roof. This appears to correspond with the present house before the early C17 wing was added to the front. At about that date it passed from the occupation of John Cliff, gent, to William Tublyn. In 1614 it was mentioned in the will of W Tublyn. (Essex Record Office: D/DP M.170, M96-101 & D/ABW 38/117).
Listing NGR: TQ6333499283
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.