SAMUEL LEWIS BUILDINGS, FLATS 501 TO 545

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207868

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: SAMUEL LEWIS BUILDINGS, FLATS 501 TO 545, 501-545, LIVERPOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAMUEL LEWIS BUILDINGS, FLATS 501 TO 545
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:58:42.

Location

Statutory Address: SAMUEL LEWIS BUILDINGS, FLATS 501 TO 545, 501-545, LIVERPOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31385 84540

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3184NW LIVERPOOL ROAD 635-1/45/588 (East side) (Consecutive) Samuel Lewis Buildings, Flats 501-545

GV II

Block of flats. Dated 1909 on rainwater heads, the estate as a whole completed in 1910. Designed by Joseph and Smithem for the Samuel Lewis Trust. Red brick set in English bond with dressings of artificial stone and roughcast, roofs of artificial slate. Five storeys. Part of an estate of six parallel blocks with gable ends to Liverpool Road; the five southernmost blocks are identical in design though not in orientation, and symmetrical on both their long fronts; the northernmost block, nos 601-14, is shorter and of rather different design. The block is designed in three sections, each of basically the same design, but with variations in the outer sections which render the block as a whole symmetrical; all windows are flat-arched except for those on the second, third and fourth floors of the middle bay of each section at the rear; and all windows are sashes except for those to the staircase bay and those altered in the outermost bays of the entrance front of each block. On the entrance front the middle section contains the following elements (1) a central staircase bay with flat-arched entrance under bracketed canopy, in a two-storey porch with battered sides and tented roof; two casement windows above this, the upper of three lights with stone mullions under deep bracketed eaves to steep hipped roof with one narrow pedimented dormer; (2) either side of the staircase bay is a five-storey bay of sash windows each with gauged brick head and keystone, under a corniced and banded gable; (3) either side of this, a canted bay to five storeys, with stone window surrounds and cast-iron window guards, rendered spandrels to third and fourth floors and an ogee domed roof; (4) beyond that a bay of sash-windows with window-guards, gauged brick heads to the ground and first floors, moulded storey band between second and third floors, whole of third floor rendered, deep bracketed eaves and flat-arched dormer in mansard roof; the division between each section is marked by a 'party wall' whose profile is upswept to corniced chimneys. The two outer sections reproduce the same arrangement, except that the gables flanking the staircase bay are banded and shaped, the outer, five-storey canted bay ends in deep eaves over the third floor and a canted dormer instead of an ogee roof,and the outermost bays of the whole block have narrower windows and a dormer abutting a front stack. The rear elevation is again in three sections, and employs the elements of the entrance front in a simplified way: central, three-window bays to the middle of each range, under a gable to the middle range and under shaped gables to the outer ranges; then canted bays with ogee domes to the middle section, and canted dormers to the outer ones; then two ranges of sash-windows with render to the third floor; and then outer bays, which in the centre are of two windows, on the outer ranges of one tripartite window. The west end to Liverpool Road has two windows in a shallow bay to the ground-to-third floors, the ground-floor windows with stone surrounds under a segmental pediment, the tympanum filled with putti and arabesques embracing a cartouche inscribed 'SAMUEL LEWIS BUILDINGS'; tented roof to bay; fourth-floor window of four lights with stone surround and cornice; stone sill- and storey-bands; mansarded gable with stone cornicing. The east end is treated in the same way but with a stone cornice in place of the pediment and ornament above the ground-floor window. The Samuel Lewis Trust was set up in 1906, one of several housing trusts established in London round the turn of the century to provide housing for the poor; and the estate in Liverpool Road, which originally provided a total of 332 flats, appears to have been the first that the Trust built. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3138584540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 369103

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing