Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 16:34:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 90816 66745



SX96NW BARTON HILL ROAD, Barton 885-1/2/321 (West side) Parish Church of St Martin


Parish church. 1938 to the designs of NF Cachemaille Day. Plastered on brick footings; slate roofs. Neo-Romanesque style. PLAN: Nave with west end baptistry; chancel with 3-bay aisles and 2-bay south organ chamber; north-east tower; east end Lady Chapel. EXTERIOR: North side show front with no chancel/nave division. Projecting tower, rectangular on plan, adjoins chancel; lower-roofed Lady Chapel to east. Nave with parapet has 8 high-set round-headed aisle windows recessed behind a colonnade of columns supporting brick arches. Round-headed doorway to east of nave with recessed brick arch and original 2-leaf timber door with vertical roll mouldings which are repeated as glazing bars in the fanlight. 2-leaf door at west end of nave in lower-roofed west end baptistry block. 3-stage tower has 3 sets of triple round-headed windows on north side, the upper set louvred belfry windows. East return of tower decorated with massive relief sculpture of the Crucifixion. North side of Lady Chapel with ribbon of 5 round-headed windows divided by columns. East end of Lady Chapel breaks forward with one round-headed window. Blocked round-headed doorways in set-back bays to left and right. INTERIOR: Flat-roofed with no nave/chancel division. Aisle and organ chamber bays with brick columns, star-shaped on plan. Plain 3-bay arcade into baptistry, which is top-lit. Massive baldacchino to sanctuary with 4 round-headed arches and gabled roof on 4 columns with Byzantine capitals. Baldacchino gilded with reliefs of censing angels. Low, solid chancel screen, semicircular on plan. Wall between sanctuary and Lady Chapel pierced by 3 round-headed glazed arches. Pulpit, round on plan, projects out of north wall with access via concealed stairs. Torquay marble font. Lady Chapel has massive gilded corona lucis and abstract stained glass in east window. Baptistry stained glass of 1959. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.850).

Listing NGR: SX9081666745


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 850
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 850


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09574/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].