FORMER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207884

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1949

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE'S PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207884 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 09:45:57.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE'S PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 91770 98358

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198SE ST GEORGE'S PARADE 895-1/14/310 (East side) 16/07/49 Former Church of St George

II

Former Anglican church, now part of supermarket. 1830. By James Morgan (a partner of John Nash). Ashlar; slate roof. Rectangular plan with west steeple. Classical style. Top frieze and cornice with blocking course, windows have small-paned glazing. East facade has centre pedimented chancel projection with flanking single-storey re-entrant blocks. Sill band, top pediment, breaking pediment to nave. Central Venetian window with antae and small-paned glazing, louvred lunette over; nave has blind round-headed windows with archivolts. Re-entrant blocks have entrances with architraves and consoled cornices, C20 doors. South facade of 2 storeys and 7 bays: segmental-headed windows to ground floor and round-headed windows with archivolts to 1st floor; 1st bay treated as west facade. North facade retains similar 1st-floor windows. West facade has centre breaking forward under tower: ground-floor entablature; end angle pilasters and paired Doric columns flanking centre. Central round-headed entrance with imposts, archivolt and console keystone, flanking entrances have architraves and consoled cornices and windows over; fielded panels to 1st floor, central window has architrave and consoled cornice; return has architraved blind windows. 2-stage tower has sill band and angle pilaster strips to 2nd stage, top cornice and balustraded parapet; roundels to 1st stage, 2nd stage has architraved windows with cornices, clock faces above with flanking consoles; balustraded parapet and needle spire. INTERIOR gutted. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.315).

Listing NGR: SO9177098358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 378551

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 315

End of official listing