CHURCH OF EMMANUEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207907

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF EMMANUEL, BARLOW MOOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF EMMANUEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207907 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:28:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF EMMANUEL, BARLOW MOOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 84609 91302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SW BARLOW MOOR ROAD, Didsbury 698-1/8/637 (North side) Church of Emmanuel

GV II

Church. 1858, by Starkey and Cuffley; with late C20 additions and internal alterations. Coursed sandstone rubble, graduated green slate roofs. Nave with north and south aisles under parallel roofs, small steeple attached to west end of south aisle, south transept, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. Decorated style. The steeple, attached to the west end of the south aisle, is octagonal, splay-footed from a square base, with a continuous arcade of tall cusped and louvred belfry windows round the base of the spire. The 3-bay south aisle and 4-bay north aisle are buttressed and have 2-centred arched windows of 3 cusped lights with cinquefoil heads; the nave has a large 4-light west window with reticulated tracery and the south transept has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light window with similar tracery; the 3-bay south chapel (now covered by C20 glazed vestibule) has 2-light windows (but that in the centre replaced with a door); the east end has diagonal buttresses, the chapel with a traceried oculus above the window, and the chancel has a large 5-light window with spherical-triangle tracery; the 3-bay vestry, attached at right angles to the chancel, has buttresses and 2-light windows. All these windows have hoodmoulds with figured stops. Interior: 4-bay arcades of double-chamfered arches carried on cylindrical columns (now painted red) with moulded annular caps; arch-braced roof to nave, scissor-braced roof to chancel; stained glass including south window of transept by William Morris, 1889, mostly leaf-scrolls but with figures in upper parts of lights; and centre window of north aisle, depicting the parable of the sower in Pre-Raphaelite style with the figure in a landscape of woodland, cornfields, and exuberant foliage (commemorating John Radcliffe, d.1876). Furnishing completely remodelled.

Listing NGR: SJ8460991302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 387925

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing