Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207939.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 14:38:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86558 96989



698-1/5/479 BENNETT STREET 03-OCT-74 ARDWICK (South side) Anglican Church of St Benedict (Formerly listed as: BENNETT STREET ARDWICK ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT)


Church incorporating clergy house and Sunday School rooms, now parish rooms. 1880, by JS Crowther. Red brick in header bond with orange brick dressings and stone tracery, slate roofs. Early English style. Tall nave with low aisle to south side, tall north-west tower and low 2-storey clergy house on north side. Tall chancel with low transepts. The buttressed west front has a 2-centred arched west doorway with 3 orders of moulding including shafts, containing 2 cusped doorways and traceried tympanum, a multifoil each side, a band of tall blank arcading with shafts, and a large rose window. The tower to the left, square, buttressed up to eaves level and with 3 stages above that, has a 2-light window at ground floor, a small lancet to each of the next 3 stages, and a belfry stage with tourelle pinnacles, louvred 2-light windows, a machicolated pierced parapet and steep pyramidal roof. The 6-bay south side has pilaster strips and large 2-centred arched 4-light windows with geometrical tracery to the nave, small lancets to the aisle; the chancel has windows like those of the nave and coupled gabled transepts below, and a very large 7-light east window with rich geometrical tracery. The clergy house on the north side, 2 low storeys and 11 bays, with coupled gables at both ends, has segmental-pointed windows to ground floor, arched windows to 1st floor, and 4 gabled dormers in the roof, with finials. INTERIOR: stone quatrefoil piers support brick arcades and tall clerestory. Elaborate hammerbeam and arch-braced roofs to nave and chancel. Chancel raised above height of nave and approached by wide flight of 6 steps (somewhat altered in C20). Baldacchino of c1960, but original iron parclose screens. Stained glass east window of c.1885. Brick chancel wall with integral stone lectern supported by life-size sculpture of angel. This is c.1900 by W Cecil Hardisty and EF Long. Pulpit of 1907. Vestry furnishings include cupboards and wardrobes designed by Crowther. Stained glass includes aisle windows by TF Curtis, Ward and Hughes and others probably mostly by Ward and Hughes. Stained glass also in the large west rose window. This soaring church was cleverly integrated with the brick terraces which formerly surrounded it by the 2-storey clergy house and rooms attached to its north flank. The ensemble is the most original of JS Crowther's church designs.

Listing NGR: SJ8655896989


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/11408/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].