CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1207993

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1978

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:49:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 39285 56953

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3956NW CHURCH LANE 920-1/19/41 (West side) 10/11/78 Church of St Michael

GV II*

Bishopwearmouth parish church. Medieval chancel largely reconstructed; tower c1807; transepts 1849-50 by John Dobson; nave rebuilt with double aisles 1933-5 by WD Caroe; outer aisles partitioned and floors inserted in 1981 by Ian Curry to form community centre. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; ashlar aisles and porches; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled chancel with N vestry; transepts; double-aisled nave clasping W tower; north, south and full-width west porches. EXTERIOR: Decorated style transepts and chancel, perpendicular aisles and porches. Geometric tracery in 5-light E and 4-light transept windows with roundels in gable peaks. Buttressed 4-bay aisles have 3-light windows, and low porches in E bay with boarded doors recessed in elliptical arches; paired perpendicular clerestory lights. W end has wide, buttressed porch with two doors in elliptical-headed arches, flanked by tall 2-light windows under ramped parapet of pent roof; lower N and S extensions have buttresses on canted corners; W ends of aisles above have central projecting canopied niches rising through stepped parapets to pinnacles. 2 stages of tower above porch have intersecting tracery below and perpendicular tracery in pointed-arched louvred belfry openings below stepped battlemented parapet. INTERIOR: ashlar; plaster aisles with ashlar dressings. 3-bay nave has high elliptical acrades with polygonal piers; chancel roof wood barrel vault, nave roof arch-braced trusses. Late C13-style piscina and sedilia. Transepts have high quality wood galleries set in E bays of nave arcade. Similar wood screen transferred to W end. High-quality C20 carved wood organ case and pulpit with sounding board. Medieval font bowl, C17 font with fluted bowl on turned pedestal rising from acanthus leaves, and elaborate C19 font. MEMORIALS: include 2 medieval grave-covers, one with a stepped base to the incised cross and the other with a foliate cross head, both in W porch; an eroded medieval effigy in the S transept said to be that of Thomas Middleton of Silksworth. Many C18 and C19 memorials, including brass in chancel to William Cockin (d.1889) by Singer and Sons, Frome and London; also in chancel, memorial to John Scott (d.1853) by Lewis and son, Cheltenham. In S transept, high relief depicting a grieving woman, for Stephen Pemberton (d.1831) signed David Dunbar. Plaque in W porch commemorating the munificence of Sir John Priestman ennabling the restorations of 1933-5; and a marble memorial to Thomas Wilson, `one of the proprietors of the Glass Manufactory at Ayres Quay', d.1776. Glass includes E window 1950 by DM Grant. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 6 AND 27).

Listing NGR: NZ3928556953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391418

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, Milburn, G, Buildings and Beliefs, (1984), 6, 27

End of official listing