PARISH CHURCH HALL (OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208022
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH HALL (OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL), ABBEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH HALL (OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208022 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:10:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH HALL (OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL), ABBEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST 43957 09849

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4309 ABBEY STREET 876-1/6/18 (South side) 12/06/50 Parish Church Hall (Old Grammar School)

GV II

Grammar School, now parish hall. 1636, much restored and extended 1830-1860. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with Ham Hill stone plinth, porch, dressings, stepped stone coping and stacks and lower 3 courses to the left half of the slate roof. PLAN: rectangular plan with rear stair turret and right-hand C19 extension. EXTERIOR: the tall left half is single-storey; symmetrical 4-window range. The right half, of the same height, is 2 storeys including a half dormer; 2-window range. All the main windows to the front have labelmoulds; the gutters are supported by wrought-iron brackets. The left half, slightly longer than that to the right, has 4 tall 4-light stone mullioned and transomed leaded windows, probably C19, which break through the continuous string course which follows round the left return. Steps lead up both sides of the projecting gabled porch which has Tudor-arched openings to sides and front; it has a stone roof, moulded coping and obelisk finials to the kneelers and apex. Worn C19 carving in the gable end bears the date 1499. The right end has 4-light stone mullioned windows to the centre of both floors, that in the half dormer is below a slated gable with plain stone coping and a smaller finial than those to the right. To the left of this half, steps lead up to a Tudor-arched planked door directly under a 2-light window without a hoodmould; a similar one-light window is above, under the eaves. The rear of the left half has a 2-storey gable with similar details to the porch and C17 stone-mullioned windows; the rear of the right half is C20. INTERIOR: late C19 staircase and tongued and grooved panelling, C20 to the rest except for early C18 square raised and fielded dado panelling to the left end. This is higher than the floor, which has been lowered, and has much graffitti with dates in the early and mid C19. HISTORY: The Grammar School was founded in 1499 by John DeCombe, precentor of The Cathedral Church of Exeter. In 1577 trustees included "6 of the most discreetest men in town" and from the early C17 they gave the town financial support, lent money during the plague, gave to the poor, advanced cash to buy fire buckets and in 1626 contributed substantially when the bridewell was converted to a workhouse and a cage and a pillory installed. (Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.8).

Listing NGR: ST4395309849

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390296
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15393/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].