BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208109
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Oct-1993
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, BISHOPS PLACE
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, COVERDALE ROAD
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, PALACE PLACE
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, TOWER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208109 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:08:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, BISHOPS PLACE
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, COVERDALE ROAD
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, PALACE PLACE
Statutory Address:
BISHOPS PALACE WALLS AND TOWER, TOWER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 88630 60750

Details

PAIGNTON

SX8860 PALACE PLACE 1947-1/5/70 (South side) 13/03/51 Bishop's Palace walls and tower (Formerly Listed as: PALACE PLACE "Bible Tower" and remains of Bishop's Palace)

GV II*

Includes: Bishop's Palace walls and tower COVERDALE ROAD. Includes: Bishop's Palace walls and tower BISHOPS PLACE. Walls to Bishop's Palace including corner tower. Probably C14. MATERIALS: Local red breccia; tower roofed with lead. PLAN: Tall walls surround the precinct which is now occupied by the vicarage and its gardens. An internal corner tower occupies the SE corner of the enclosure. The Tower Road elevation of the wall has a section of rebuilding incorporating a 2-centred arched doorway. EXTERIOR: Walls are tall with coped merlons with embrasures, some slits, and pudlock holes. The 4-stage tapering tower has an embattled parapet above a moulded string. On the face fronting Bishop's Place is a small 2-centred doorway, the first stage has a 2-light window with ogival heads to the lights. The 2nd-floor window has 2 trefoil-headed lights below a blind plate. Similar windows to other elevations. West face, inside the vicar's garden, has a 2-centred doorway. INTERIOR: All the floors and the stair appear to be C20. Segmental-arched joists support a lead covering to the roof. HISTORY: The Bishop's Palace was transferred from Bishop Veysey to Sir Thomas Speke in 1549. In the C19 it was owned by a Colonel Ridgway, who exposed the foundations of old buildings - "numerous coins and other interesting objects were found during the excavation of the ground" (Couldrey). The site inside the enclosure is obviously of considerable archaeological interest. (Transactions of the Devonshire Association, Vol.64: Couldrey WG: Memories and Antiquities of Paignton: 1932-: 228; Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon: London: 1952-1989: 841).

Listing NGR: SX8863060750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383843
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 841
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 64, (1915)
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, (1932), 228

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14733/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].