THE VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208129
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1993
Statutory Address:
THE VICARAGE, PALACE PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208129.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:02:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE VICARAGE, PALACE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 88595 60776

Details

PAIGNTON

SX8860 PALACE PLACE 1947-1/5/72 The Vicarage

GV II

Vicarage, now subdivided. Foundation stone laid 1910 (plaque), architect unknown to date. MATERIALS: Local red brecia rubble; slate roof laid in diminishing courses; stacks with diagonally set stone shafts. PLAN: The house is built within the precinct walls of the Bishop's medieval palace. The site was re-acquired by the church in 1909. Deep rectangular plan, the main block facing east into the precinct, which is now part of the vicarage garden, services to the rear. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys and attic Asymmetrical 2-window east front with a steep peaked roof and central chimney shaft. Recessed 1910 panelled door to right with a porch hood on brackets. Timber casement windows with square leaded panes, 2 to the first floor and one to the ground floor plus a 5-light transomed bow window to ground-floor left, also glazed with square leaded panes. The left (south) return consists of a 4-bay block, then the buttressed gabled end of a wing, then the return of the main block. Main block has a verandah with a lean-to roof and round-headed archway with 2 half-glazed garden doors into the house, one 2-light first-floor casement. To the right the buttressed gabled end of a wing with a 5-light ground-floor bow window, reglazed without leaded panes; 4-light first-floor window and 3-light attic dormer. 4-bay elevation to the left, the left-hand bay gabled with a shallow projecting gabled porch with a 2-panel door with mullioned overlight. One-light first-floor window above. The rest of the front has 3 ground floor ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned ground-floor windows; 3 transomed first-floor windows, 2 casement 2nd-floor windows and a pair of original attic dormers flanking a chimney shaft. The rear elevation has similar windows and a projecting single-storey service wing with a hipped roof; service entrance. The N side of the house butts a tall crow-stepped wall. INTERIOR: Partially inspected. Original stair with good timber balustrade; original joinery includes doors with distinctive vertical panels. A competent example of Edwardian domestic architecture, having group value with the Palace precinct walls and the parish church (qv), which lies to the north east.

Listing NGR: SX8859760779

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383845
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09422/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].