STONE FARM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208142
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
STONE FARM HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STONE FARM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 17:12:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
STONE FARM HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Baylham
National Grid Reference:
TM 09548 50894

Details

BAYLHAM TM 05 SE 2/38 Stone Farm House - - II House, formerly farmhouse. C15 or early C16 core with major alterations, principally of c.1600 but of several other periods also. 2 storeys, partly with attics. Timber-framed and rough-cast; much of the ground storey walling is under-built in C19 red brickwork. Plaintiled roofs with a gabled plaintiled casement dormer. Axial C17 chimney of red brick with a saw-tooth pattern shaft, cappea in C19. C20 small-pane casements. A C19 single-storey gabled entrance porch at the lobby-entrance position with glazed panelled door. A residual open hall forms the nucleus of the house; its lightly- blackened coupled-rafter roof is almost complete. A single post, formerly shafted, marks the position of the missing open truss. In c.1600 major alterations were made: a large chimney was inserted near the cross-passage, and a fine 1st floor structure added to the hall. It has ovolo mouldings to the bridging joist and to the common joists, which have stepped stops enriched in an unusual manner. The earlier service end was rebuilt in the form of a cross-wing with clasped-purlin roof. An arch-braced open truss of C16 type in the block beyond the cross-wing is probably the vestige of a much altered C16 service range. A single-storey dairy wing was added to rear in C17. In the parlour is a corner cupboard of c.1800 with rustic enrichment.

Listing NGR: TM0954850894

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279231
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].