SENTRY BOX IN NORTHERN FORT, APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES NORTH OF HM COASTGUARD LOOKOUT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208199

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1993

Statutory Address: SENTRY BOX IN NORTHERN FORT, APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES NORTH OF HM COASTGUARD LOOKOUT, BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of SENTRY BOX IN NORTHERN FORT, APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES NORTH OF HM COASTGUARD LOOKOUT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 20:53:45.

Location

Statutory Address: SENTRY BOX IN NORTHERN FORT, APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES NORTH OF HM COASTGUARD LOOKOUT, BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Torbay (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brixham

National Grid Reference: SX 94622 56583

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIXHAM

SX95NW BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK, Berry Head 1946-1/2/12 Sentry box in northern fort, approx. 10/01/75 3m N of HM Coastguard lookout (Formerly Listed as: BERRY HEAD COMMON Berry Head Fort, Sentry Box)

GV II

Sentry box. c1780 or 1794-8. Coursed limestone rubble. Low pyramidal stone slab roof. Small octagonal building with 4 open-fronted, triangular recesses for sentries. 1 storey. The 4 plain doorways have flat limestone lintels. No windows, but a small square aperture in each of the stone partition walls links one sentry to another; these contain wooden frames, rebated as if for glass. Recesses have stone-flagged floors. The building has a projecting plinth and the stone roof-slabs project slightly in the manner of an eaves-cornice. Although the defences of the northern fort date from 1795-1804, a battery and magazine were established at the tip of Berry Head in 1770-80 during the American War of Independence. The magazine is probably of this date and the sentry box appears to relate to a blocked doorway in its north wall. (Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Reports: Pye A R: Berry Head Fort, Brixham: 1990-: 21-22).

Listing NGR: SX9462256583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 383526

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report' in Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit, (1990), 21-22

End of official listing