This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1208219



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Crewkerne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390350

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST4409 EAST STREET 876-1/7/72 (North side) 12/06/50 Merefield House


House, now 2 dwellings. Dated 1661 and 1683; east wing (to right of front) dated 1900; the central block is c1830, and the west wing is late C19. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble to the older wing, Ham Hill stone ashlar to the C19 blocks; slate roof with stone stacks. PLAN: roughly L-shape plan, with mid C17 block to the rear right, the 1683 block stepped forward to the front right, the c1830 block to the centre and the late C19 block to the far left; the wing of c1900 projects forward from the C17 ranges to the right. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; attics to the C17 wings; the late C19 wing is single-storey. The main entrance is in the c1830 facade to the central block. This is a symmetrical 3-window range. The moulded cornice extends over the coping of the older, lower, wing to the right, almost at ridge-level; the first-floor is articulated by 4 shallow, panelled pilasters flanking 8/8-pane sashes with moulded architraves, floating cornices and panelled aprons resting on a platband, into which a shallow pediment is cut over the door, and the lower edge has a roll-moulding; steps up to the segmental recessed porch, which has free-standing fluted Doric columns to the sides and a 6-panel door, remodelled c1900 with leaded glazing to the top and to the large overlight; flanked by large mid C20 French windows. The right-hand range has 3 gables facing east: that to the rear, probably rebuilt with a shallower pitched roof than the others, has a central gable stack and a datestone of 1661. The 2 gables to the front are 2 storeys with attics and hollow-moulded stone-mullioned casements under label moulds, 2-light to the attics and 3-light below; between the gables is an external stack. The front of this wing, facing north, also has stone-mullioned casements with c1900 decorative leading, and two datestones, 1683 and 1900. The west wing, now a separate dwelling, is single-storey, with a parapet wall over a large canted bay occupying the whole front. Mid C18 panelled door to rear. INTERIOR: The roof of the mid C17 central unit of the rear right wing is a 2-bay A frame with trenched purlins; the fireplace in the lateral stack has a Tudor-arched stone lintel. The rear unit has a former open fireplace, both have stone-flagged floors. The mid C19 unit retains reeded moulding to the cornices, elliptical recesses and 6-panel doors. The late C19 west wing also retains panelling and 4-panel doors. A fine house, which groups with a fine set of entrance gates and walls (qv) and a gazebo (qv) set in its original garden. A notable group.

Listing NGR: ST4427909859

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 44279 09859


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 10:43:30.

End of official listing