CHURCH OF ST SILAS WITH ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208241
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SILAS WITH ALL SAINTS, PENTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SILAS WITH ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208241.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 14:02:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SILAS WITH ALL SAINTS, PENTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31048 83302

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3183SW PENTON STREET 635-1/64/678 (North side) 29/09/72 Church of St Silas with All Saints (Formerly Listed as: PENTON STREET Church of St Silas)

II

Anglican church. 1860 by Samuel Sanders Teulon, completed 1863 by E.P.Loftus Brock; chancel added 1884. Kentish ragstone with dressings of stone, and white, yellow and red brick, roof of Welsh slate. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south-west tower. East end has three trefoiled lancets, the central one taller, and angle buttresses; pointed-arched entrance at east end of south aisle with engaged columns having foliage capitals, multi-moulded archivolt, original double doors, head of gauged white and yellow brick, and bracketed and gabled canopy. South aisle of six bays; five bays have one group of three lancets each under a pointed relieving arch, the tympanum filled with herringbone work in white and yellow brick, the second window from the east interrupted by a late C20 door. Offset above relieving arches; parapet interrupted by square, buttresslike piers with low pyramidal pinnacles, now apparently truncated. The clerestory windows are pointed-arched with two lancets below a rose, the rose exhibiting a different form of plate tracery in each window; the windows have heads of yellow brick, probably rebuilt and extending as springing bands, and rise above the parapet into their own gables. Two identical pointed-arched entrances, one occupying the westernmost bay of the south aisle and one beyond that: pointed arched entrance with engaged columns having foliage capitals and multi-moulded archivolt under hoodmould, head of gauged white and yellow brick, and a gable above each entrance, decorative in the case of the eastern entrance; pointed-arched doorcase with billet moulding to both entrances, original panelled door to left. The west end has three two-light lancets below blank quatrefoils, heads of gauged yellow brick which extend as sill and springing bands; two small outer lancets with bands of gauged yellow brick and a dripmould between them. Rose window in gable set in a spherical triangle of gauged yellow brick, the tracery of inventive geometrical form; lancet to apex of gable. South-west tower with two lancets to south, a band of white brick above with yellow brick diapering, stepped brick corbels to eaves, with red brick patterns between them, and pyramidal roof. INTERIOR: . Chancel of brick, painted, the rest of the interior plastered. Nave arcade of six bays; west gallery; some space at west end of nave enclosed in C20; wooden ceiling. Simple wooden pulpit in a Gothic style. (The Architectural Outsiders: Matthew Saunders: 'Samuel Teulon 1812-1873': London: 1985-).

Listing NGR: TQ3104883302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369195
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saunders, M, 'The Architectural Outsiders' in Samuel Teulon 1812-1873, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14953/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].