CLAREMONT HALL AND FORECOURT WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208261

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: CLAREMONT HALL AND FORECOURT WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS, 44A, PENTONVILLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLAREMONT HALL AND FORECOURT WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208261 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 18:58:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CLAREMONT HALL AND FORECOURT WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS, 44A, PENTONVILLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31293 83173

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3183SW PENTONVILLE ROAD 635-1/64/683 (North side) 29/09/72 No.44A Claremont Hall and attached forecourt walls, railings and gatepiers (Formerly Listed as: PENTONVILLE ROAD Claremont Hall)

GV II

Also known as: Nesor Showrooms PENTONVILLE ROAD. Former non-conformist chapel (Claremont Chapel), later non-conformist mission (Claremont Hall); now commercial showrooms. Set back from Pentonville Road. 1819. Architect not certain; possibly Andrew or John Blyth, or John or William Wallen; for Thomas Wilson, patron. Front elevation is result of successive alterations: 1854: front terrace (largely destroyed) by Henry Owen; 1860: alterations by Mr. Tarry; c.1902 further alterations. Stock bricks with stucco front elevation (probably stuccoed mid C19), including vermiculated rusticated ground-floor dado, rusticated block dressings and quoins. Rectangular plan. Neo-classical style. Two storeys approached by full-width steps (widened C20) with stucco balustrade to ends, basement. 3-window range with symmetrical facade and projecting central pedimented bay. Ground-floor prostyle Ionic portico with paired columns to central architraved doorway with double C20 doors and 11-paned rectangular overlight; round-arched architraved and keystoned flanking side entrances (probably altered C20) with paterae, console-bracketed open pediments, multi-paned fanlights, wide panelled corniced-heads and panelled doors. Round-arched, architraved 1st-floor 3/3 sashes with curved, wavy and radial glazing bars, double margin lights, console-bracketed egg and dart cornice, and small brackets to sills. Entablature with foliated scrolled frieze panels in low relief to outer bays, centre bay frieze inscribed 'CLAREMONT', egg and dart and modillioned cornice and blocking course. Left return has 3 round-arched sashes on the upper level; rear extension. Attached stucco walls to sides of forecourt; Neo-classical style cast-iron railings and fine cast and wrought-iron gate piers to front. INTERIOR: : originally had an oval gallery running all round the chapel; this was truncated in 1860 when other alterations were carried out by Mr. Tarry; most of interior greatly altered including the insertion of a mezzanine floor to chapel space c.1970; original wooden handrail to front interior staircase survives. History: the building of the chapel was financed by Thomas Wilson for the Congregationalists in 1819; he had also assisted in building Paddington Chapel and Craven Chapel. Claremont Chapel was closed in 1899 and disused until the present mission, London Congregational Union, was set up in 1902; in recent years the mission has let the chapel for use as showrooms. 1990 undergoing extensive exterior work and interior alterations. Probably the most ambitious and architecturally significant non-conformist chapel of the early C19 in the Borough of Islington inspite of altered interior. In the basement is a natural spring, said to have been used to provide drinking water for cattle kept on the site for market prior to the building of the chapel. (Survey of Non-conformist Churches and Chapels in Greater London: Report by Philip Temple for English Heritage: Islington Chapels: London: 1989-1989: 1-2/PENTONVILLE RD.).

Listing NGR: TQ3129383173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 369200

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Temple, P, 'Survey of Nonconformist Churches and Chapels in Greater London' in Islington Chapels London, (1989)

End of official listing