This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
CLOUGH ROAD (North side)
Church of St John, Newland
Parish church. 1833, to the designs of William Hutchinson of Hull with later additions and extensions by Smith & Brodrick and Brodrick, Lowther & Walker
MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Perpendicular style, with pointed-arched windows. Plinth, sill and eaves bands, coped parapets and gables.
PLAN: chancel, nave, west porch and baptistry, north aisle, lady chapel, vestries.
EXTERIOR: buttressed chancel has diagonal buttresses to the east end and a five-light window with panel tracery and hoodmould. On the south side, two two-light windows with panel tracery, hoodmoulds and impost band. On the north side, a lean-to vestry with buttresses. To east, a traceried flat-headed window. To north, two similar lancets and between them, a moulded four-centred arched doorway with flat head. Buttressed nave has to south six traceried three-light windows. At the south-east corner, an octagonal turret topped with a buttressed bell stage with a slit on each side under an ogee dome. West end has a gable cross flanked by thin pinnacles. Central five-light traceried window with hoodmould, and above it, a single lancet. Below, a single-storey porch with coped parapet and a diagonal buttress. To right, a Perpendicular double door with hoodmould. To left, a canted projection with three flat-headed windows. Right return has a similar window. Buttressed north aisle has six three-light windows and to west, a four-light one. Parapeted single-storey vestry at the west end has to south a two-light mullioned window flanked by single smaller windows, all with flat heads. On the north side, four two-light metal casements.
INTERIOR: chancel has a moulded four-centred arch with gabled hoodmould and traceried spandrels. Painted low pitched arch-braced roof on corbels, with traceried spandrels. North side has a chamfered arched opening to organ chamber, and to its right, a segment-headed moulded doorway with hoodmould. East end has traceried panelled dado and Decorated style wooden reredos, the latter by Charles Beyaert of Bruges. East Late C19 stained-glass window. South side has two windows. Nave has low pitched roof with moulded beams and billeted wall plate with fleurons. West end has a double chamfered four-centred arched doorway with a pair of doors, and a window above. South side has three stained-glass windows, 1921 and 1926. Six-bay north arcade has cruciform piers and arches with continuous double chamfers. North aisle has low pitched roof on corbels. At the west end, a double chamfered four-centred arched door with traceried half-glazed doors and above, a window. To east, a double chamfered arch and traceried wooden screen to Lady Chapel. North-east windows have stained glass, early and mid C20. Canted baptistry has a C19 stained-glass window and on each side, traceried half-glazed doors with depressed segmental heads.
Fittings include wrought-iron altar rail, brass lectern, 1892, traceried square oak pulpit, 1946, and traceried stalls and desks, late C19. Panelled benches with shaped ends, C19. Memorials include five C19 Classical marble tablets, one of them with a crest, and various C19 and C20 tablets and brasses. Wooden war memorial panel with sculpture and crucifix, c1920. The stained glass includes the east window by Burlison & Grylls, 1901, windows on south side of nave by William Aikman, 1920s, and in north aisle by Powell & Sons, Whitefriars, 1928, Harry Stammers, 1946 and Anne Rutherford, 1993.
HISTORY: Originally a simple rectangular building, the chancel and north vestry were added in 1893 by Smith & Brodrick. The nave was extended one bay west in 1902 and the baptistery, porches and six-bay north aisle added by Brodrick, Lowther & Walker. The octagonal font is of 1717 and was originally in St Mary, Lowgate, Hull. It was recut in 1865 when ogee details removed.
Listing NGR: TA0868031537
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.