METHODIST CHURCH AND FORECOURT WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208344
Date first listed:
22-May-1990
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Feb-1994
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH AND FORECOURT WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH AND FORECOURT WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 03:53:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH AND FORECOURT WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEWAY, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Porthleven
National Grid Reference:
SW 62964 25923

Details

HELSTON

SW6225 FORE STREET, Porthleven 631-1/6/255 (South East side) 22/05/90 Methodist Church and forecourt wall, railings and gateway (Formerly Listed as: FORE STREET Methodist Church, including front area, wall, railings and gateway)

GV II*

Nonconformist chapel. 1883 datestone. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings including plinth, strings, kneelers and copings; asbestos slate roof with some courses of fishscale slate resembling features of original dry Delabole slate roof. Rectangular aisleless plan with gallery on 4 sides; pair of entrances and staircases at ritual west end; organ loft projection at ritual east end. Gothic Revival style. Tall single-storey elevations with side windows shared by galleries. NW entrance front is 3 bays with wider central bay flanked by weathered buttresses surmounted by open bellcotes with pinnacles; end buttresses to octagonal pseudo bellcotes with pinnacles and finials. Central bay has gable ventilator over large 5-light traceried window with pointed lights and central rose; coloured leaded glass; sill string. Ground floor has pair of gabled doorways flanking a central buttress; stepped trefoil-headed overlights and original panelled doors. Side walls are 4:1 bays with stair bays flanked by pinnacled buttresses; all bay with paired transomed lancets with round tracery; similar end buttresses. INTERIOR: large auditorium with oval between gallery with panelled front carried on slender iron columns; trefoil-on-section barrel ceiling with heavy moulded cornice and visible steel tie rods. Fittings: original pitch pine pews except for small number removed at the front; tiered pews to gallery; balustraded rostrum and communion rail in front; organ with round-arched panels in round-arched apse. Subsidiary features: forecourt has low slatestone walls with granite coping surmounted by ornate cast-iron railings between gabled granite piers including central gate piers with arched panels, overthrow and pair of cast-iron gates. HISTORY: this large Wesleyan chapel was built at a cost of »3,500, including the site and the chapel-keeper's house (qv). (Kelly's Directory of Devonshire and Cornwall: 1902-1902: 273).

Listing NGR: SW6296425923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385475
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Cornwall, (1902), 273
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1902), 273

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04947/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Thompson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].