WALLS AND QUAYS ON ALL FOUR SIDES OF HARBOUR EXTENDING FROM NEW PIER TO KINGS QUAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208367
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Oct-1993
Statutory Address:
WALLS AND QUAYS ON ALL FOUR SIDES OF HARBOUR EXTENDING FROM NEW PIER TO KINGS QUAY, BRIXHAM HARBOUR

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND QUAYS ON ALL FOUR SIDES OF HARBOUR EXTENDING FROM NEW PIER TO KINGS QUAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:25:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALLS AND QUAYS ON ALL FOUR SIDES OF HARBOUR EXTENDING FROM NEW PIER TO KINGS QUAY, BRIXHAM HARBOUR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brixham
National Park:
N/A
National Grid Reference:
SX 92558 56261

Details

BRIXHAM

SX9256SE BRIXHAM HARBOUR, Lower Brixham 1946-1/11/134 Walls & quays on all 4 sides of 10/01/75 harbour extending from New Pier to Kings Quay (Formerly Listed as: BRIXHAM HARBOUR The New Pier) (Formerly Listed as: BRIXHAM HARBOUR King's Quay)

GV II

Harbour walls and quays. Eastern Quay and King's Quay built by 1781; New Pier 1803-4; Victoria Embankment 1897; Southern Quay c1930, extended to link up with King's Quay in 1980s. Walls are mostly of squared Devonian limestone rubble, which is of particularly high quality at the King's Quay. Eastern Quay is of much rougher rubble construction, with large projecting boulders in the lower part and stones laid on edge above. C18 and early C19 walls have copings of Devonian limestone slabs, sometimes disguised by a coating of cement. Late C19 copings are of granite, those on the Southern Quay are of cement. The section of quay linking the Southern and King's Quays is wholly of concrete. Several flights of steps lead down to the water; as with the copings, the earlier ones are of Devonian limestone and the later ones of granite. The harbour is roughly square, its entrance party closed by the New Pier on the west and the King's Quay on the east. The Eastern Quay which projects at an angle from the western side of the harbour is believed to be a C18 addition. An earlier quay projected a little way south of it until C19; it is here that William of Orange is believed to have landed in 1688; a plan of 1781 marks 'King William's steps' at its western end. The southern end of the harbour was a long, shelving cobbled ramp until reconstructed in 1897 as the Victorian Embankment. The original quays seem to have been on the west side. The fish market was here until a new one was built on the north side of the New Pier in 1971 and 1991. Subsidiary features: New Pier is protected on its seaward side by a tall stone rubble wall having on the harbour side a raised walk paved with slabs of Devonian limestone. At its western end is a stone tablet commemorating 'Mr JOHN MATTHEWS for his spirited conduct in causing this Pier to be built'. Foundation stone laid 1803; built with subscriptions from the inhabitants of Brixham; builder was Mr John Kitt. At its eastern end is the short round rendered base of the harbour light. Fixed to the wall below it is a plaque commemorating the landing of the Duke of Clarence here in 1828; this is separately listed. On the pier itself are 5 solid Devonian limestone painted bollards with rounded tops. At the eastern end of the Victoria Embankment is a boat-slip with a surface of granite setts. Fixed to the wall alongside it is a limestone plaque commemorating the laying of its foundation stone on 22 June 1897. King's Quay is marked on the plan of 1781 as 'The Wharf constructed on the Deer Rock'. It was then used for watering HM Navy ships via an elaborate series of pipes running from a reservoir on the site now occupied by Brixham Town Hall. (King J: Watering Place at Brixham: 1781-; Horsley JE: A Short History of Brixham: Exeter: 1988-: 13-17).

Listing NGR: SX9255856261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383546
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Horsley, J E , A Short History of Brixham, (1988), 13-17
King, J, Watering Place at Brixham, (1781)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04735/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Coote. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].