MORAVIAN CHAPEL AND MINISTER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208390

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: MORAVIAN CHAPEL AND MINISTER'S HOUSE, CHAPEL FOLD

Statutory Address: MORAVIAN CHAPEL AND MINISTER'S HOUSE, LOWER WYKE LANE BD12

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORAVIAN CHAPEL AND MINISTER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208390 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 05:18:31.

Location

Statutory Address: MORAVIAN CHAPEL AND MINISTER'S HOUSE, CHAPEL FOLD

Statutory Address: MORAVIAN CHAPEL AND MINISTER'S HOUSE, LOWER WYKE LANE BD12

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 15022 25924

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 LOWER WYKE LANE (west side) Wyke BD12 Moravian Chapel and Minister's House, Chapel Fold SE 1525 68/793

II GV

2. The Chapel was completed in 1755. It is a simple 2 storey rectangular structure with rendered sandstone front. Two tall round headed windows to centre and similar but shorter windows at first floor level above flanking round header doorways. All have small impost blocks and keystones to arches. Stone slate roof with corbel brackets to eaves, saddlestones and prominent shaped kneelers. Louvred stone bellcot on ridge with pyramid roof and ball finial. The minister's house was added, in part under the same roof, circa 1782-1800. The sandstone "brickwork" remains exposed with flush quoins. Three ashlar framed sash windows and squared jamb doorway with cornice; one bay with C19 extension to west. The rear elevation of the Chapel has similar fenestration to the front with addition of central, 2 storey, sandstone "brick" projecting bay built to contain organ loft with round headed window facing north. The minister's house, on this side, has 2 light square mullion windows. The interior of the Chapel retains panelled galleries on both sides supported on wooden Doric columns. The pews are late C19. Early to mid C19 organ case with iron finials recessed in segmental niche with Doric entablature impost mouldings and anthemion patterned keystone. Late C18 pulpit panelled and swept in to base. John Wesley preached here in 1759.

Listing NGR: SE1502225924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 336803

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing