Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208484.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2021 at 22:47:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 87658 51534



SX8751 CLARENCE HILL 673-1/5/70 (North side) 11/12/69 No.16 (Formerly Listed as: CLARENCE HILL Wing of No.16 (Annexe of former Drill Hall))


Formerly known as: No.16 Drill Hall Annexe CLARENCE HILL. Built as an entrance hall to Mount Galpine (qv), now divided off and converted to a separate house. Late C19, made up from reused timbers from the demolished Dolphin House, one beam is dated 1629. Timber-framed; roof not visible. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; one-window range. Highly ornamental tall and narrow front in C17 style with jettied upper floors and gabled roof, incorporating some reused C17 carpentry. Central doorway with moulded surround and containing a C17-style oak door with patterned panels. Large overlight and sidelights containing diamond panes of leaded glass. Framing enriched with carved guilloche. Richly-carved first-floor jetty bressummer includes the date 1629 with the initials W.G. and G.G. First-floor small-panel framing and central oriel with carved corner posts and brackets carved as heraldic beasts. Each end are Ionic pilasters on panelled pedestals carrying brackets carved as human figures. Carved fascia to second-floor jetty. Second floor is hung with scallop-shaped tiles. Deep eaves on shaped brackets and gable with carved bargeboards. Although the rear was not available for inspection, it is said to include more reused C17 carpentry with another oriel window. INTERIOR: Not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX8765851534


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04593/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Head. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].