DECOMBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208506
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Dec-1993
Statutory Address:
DECOMBE HOUSE, MOUNT PLEASANT

Map

Ordnance survey map of DECOMBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:07:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
DECOMBE HOUSE, MOUNT PLEASANT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST4470709946

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4409 MOUNT PLEASANT 876-1/7/132 (North side) 06/09/74 DeCombe House (Formerly Listed as: MOUNT PLEASANT Grammar School)

II

Former grammar school, now apartments. 1876-82, by Giles and Gough. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble, Ham Hill stone quoins and dressings, slate roof. EXTERIOR: mostly 3 storeys; 8-window range. To the far right is a projecting 2-storeyed forward-facing gable with a crenellated finial to the moulded coping and set-back, offset buttresses. It has Perpendicular-style tracery to a pointed-arched, 5-light, stone mullioned window with cinquefoil heads to each 4-paned light; a panelled band between floors, and pointed-arched 5-light stone-mullioned windows with sunk spandrels to the ground floor. The main facade has mostly 3-light, chamfered stone-mullioned and transomed windows to first and second floors, gabled half-dormers to the second floor and 4-light stone mullioned windows to the ground floor, some with pointed arches and sunk spandrels. To the right-of centre buttresses flank steps up to double doors, each 6 panels, set in a high Tudor arch with glazed overlight; a hoodmould with foliate stops includes a panel with a shield and inscription above the arch, and shields in the spandrels. A canted bay with a hipped slate roof to the far left where the ground slopes down is 3 storeys; a castellated canted bay to left-of-centre is 2 storeys. INTERIOR: glazed inner doors have chamfered frames, the floor to the large hall is polychromatic, the wide open-well staircase extending through 3 floors has stone treads, scroll balusters and cast-iron newel; the skirting is also stone. HISTORY: named The Mount Pleasant School in 1880, it acquired a gymnasium in 1884 and a swimming bath in 1888. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: P.137-9; Kelly's Directory: 1902-).

Listing NGR: ST4470709946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390409
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 137-139
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1902)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/10091/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Judie Burman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].