ABBEY GATE AND GATEHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1208514
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
ABBEY GATE AND GATEHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY GATE AND GATEHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 04:04:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABBEY GATE AND GATEHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39812 55957

Details

CARLISLE

NY3955NE THE ABBEY 671-1/10/21 Abbey Gate and Gatehouse 01/06/49 (Formerly Listed as: THE ABBEY Slee's Gateway)

GV I

Formerly known as: Abbey Street Lodge The Abbey. Gate tower to St Mary's Priory and attached gatehouse. For Prior Slee, inscribed and dated 1528. Weathered red sandstone ashlar, some dressings of calciferous sandstone, on chamfered plinth, string courses and eaves cornice; clasping buttresses carried up on each angle as stone chimney stacks. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables. 2-storey, single-bay gate tower, with attached low 2-storey, 2-bay gatehouse at rear right. At the top of Abbey Street and was the main gate from that street into the Priory, now a gate into the Cathedral grounds. The Abbey Street facade has a large central rounded archway with triple chamfer; the vaulted arch has a further recessed round archway fitted with double gates and a left rounded-arch pedestrian gate. Over the arch is a 3-light Tudor window with hoodmould; gabled above. The rear is similar to the facade but with a Latin inscription on the arch and the window above without hood. The gatehouse projects with a gable and then a half gable and appears to be contemporary with the tower but sash windows have been inserted, some are perhaps in the original surrounds. From the roof crease on the left of the archway it appears that there was a corresponding gatehouse symmetrically placed on that side, which was demolished to make way for the Bishop's Library, nearby, in 1699 (or during the Civil War). For further details see Perriam, CWAAS,Trans.NS LXXXVII. INTERIORS not inspected. Included in this listing is the fragment of wall which extends over Dean Tait's Lane to join with No.48 Abbey Street and now cut by a C19 archway; this could be the remains of an earlier gate tower on this site, or an adjoining Priory building. (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series: Perriam DR: LXXXVII: The Demolition of the Priory of St Mary: P.142-4).

Listing NGR: NY3981055958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386596
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 87, (), 142-144

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11438/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].