Windmill base, New River Head

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208526
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Sep-2013
Statutory Address:
Windmill Base, New River Head, Rosebery Avenue

Map

Ordnance survey map of Windmill base, New River Head
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208526 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:41:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Windmill Base, New River Head, Rosebery Avenue

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3124382761

Summary

Base of windmill built 1707-8 to power water pumps. Tower demolished c1770 and in mid-C19, when the structure was converted to a store.

Reasons for Designation

The windmill base, New River Head, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest and rarity: although representing only a small proportion of the original structure, it has considerable significance as evidence of the earliest phase of powered pumping on the New River Head site; there are no known surviving comparators within a waterworks nationally; * Group value: with several listed buildings on the site built by the New River Company and its successor the Metropolitan Water Board from the C18 to the early C20; most notably the former engine house which continues the narrative of rapid technological advance and obsolescence in the water-supply industry; such a grouping is unique on a waterworks site.

History

The New River Head takes its name from the terminus of the New River, the 40-mile channel cut in 1604-3 to supply the City of London with water from springs in Hertfordshire, a civil engineering achievement vital to the development of the metropolis. The scheme was directed by the City magnate, Hugh Myddelton, who became the first Governor of the New River Company (NRC) when it received its royal charter in 1619. From the high ground of rural Clerkenwell a network of wooden mains conveyed water to the cisterns of London. The site at first consisted of a reservoir - the Round Pond - and a single building known as the Water House containing the stop-cocks and accommodation for the site supervisor; over time these were supplemented by further buildings, ponds, cisterns and filter beds, covering seven acres.

In response to the demand for water supply to the expanding metropolis and strong competition from other companies, the NRC engaged George Sorocold, the first great English water-supply engineer, who in 1707-8 designed an experimental and expensive scheme for a windmill and an upper reservoir. The latter, known as the Upper Pond, stood some 350m to the north-west of the windmill in what is now Claremont Square, the higher ground providing a greater head of pressure to enable distribution to more distant areas in and around the West End. The windmill powered four pumps to force water uphill from the Round Pond to the Upper Pond. It consisted of a tapering round brick tower, then rare in England, with oval windows, an ogee cap, and six sails. At the base was an integral horse gin for use when there was little wind. The windmill did not work well, possibly due to its sheltered position, and was abandoned in 1720. Nor was the base large enough to serve well for the horse gin, and a new horse mill was built c1720 adjoining the defunct windmill on the south-east side, which supplied the Upper Pond until 1768 when the pumping engine house was built. In addition to the horse mill, the windmill had a small attached structure to the south-west side which appears on C18 maps. Around 1770 the windmill tower was reduced to two storeys and castellated, and by the mid-C19 it had been demolished down to the base and converted into a store. By 1874 the adjoining structures had been removed and replaced by a more substantial building on the south-east side, which was linked to the engine house's south-west boiler room. These structures were removed in the 1970s.

Details

MATERIALS: red brick laid in English bond with numerous areas of C20 patching and repair where attached structures have been removed; clay tile roof.

DESCRIPTION: the windmill base is approximately 12m in diameter, with a blocked segmental-arched entrance on the north face. The later entrance to the south-west has a timber lintel and double doors with strap hinges. The conical roof has a small circular lantern to the apex. The interior has no surviving features of interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369260
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Survey of London: Volume 47: Northern Clerkenwell and Pentonville, (2008), 165-184

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04576/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].