CHURCH OF ST JUDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208544
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1977
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JUDE, TETTENHALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JUDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 10:21:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JUDE, TETTENHALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 89773 99396

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/02/2014

SO89NE 895-1/4/91

WOLVERHAMPTON, TETTENHALL ROAD (North side), Church of St Jude 03/02/77 II

Church. 1867-9, by George Bidlake; later C19 spire by T.H.Fleeming. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Chancel and north organ loft and south vestry; 4-bay nave with transepts and lean-to aisles; south west steeple. Decorated Gothic style. Chancel has coped gable and shallow offset buttresses; 4-light east window and traceried lancet to north; gabled organ loft has 2-light window; vestry has gablet, 3-light window and stack to east. Transepts have 4-light windows; aisles have 2-light windows between shallow offset buttresses; north aisle has 3-light window to west of gabled porch and 2-light west window; clerestories have 2-light segmental-pointed windows; 4-light west window has trefoil over and gable cross. 4-stage tower to left has angle buttresses and south-west stair turret; west entrance of one order on squat shafts and south 2-light window with plate tracery, weathering over; 2nd stage has lancets; 3rd stage has roundels for clock faces; top stage has 2-light louvred bell openings; top openwork parapet with pinnacles and flying buttresses to octagonal spire. INTERIOR: chancel arch with short corbelled shafts, scissor trusses to roof; arcading to east wall with central reredos with roof and gablet on marble shafts flanked by Creed and Commandment panels; timber altar; nave arcades on round polished granite piers with stiff leaf capitals and similar arches to transepts; C20 false ceiling; low glazed screens to west. Stalls with arcaded fronts; brass altar rail; timber pulpit on stone base has parquetry in arcading, bowed seat to left; brass lectern with angels on pinnacles; octagonal font on squat pier, richly carved arcading. Stained glass to east window, 1869, and to west window; chancel south wall memorial to Mary Davis (d.1886) with richly carved Gothic aedicule; south transept has war memorial. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.325).

Listing NGR: SO8977399396

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378601
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 325
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249655

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04557/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].