CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208547
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND ST MARY, COCKINGTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 20:09:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND ST MARY, COCKINGTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 89075 63784

Details

TORQUAY

SX8963 COCKINGTON PARK, Cockington 885-1/16/371 Church of St George and St Mary 20/11/52

GV II*

Parish church set in landscaped grounds of nearby Cockington Court (qv). Early C13 origins but most of fabric is C14 or C15. Restoration 1882-3 by Hine and Odgers and 1916-20 by Charles Nicholson (architect) and Herbert Read (restoration of screen). Local stone rubble with red sandstone and Beerstone dressings, gable-ended slate roofs. PLAN: Nave and chancel with north and south aisles, the chancel projecting very slightly. C18 or early C19 north porch and C19 vestry on south side of west tower. EXTERIOR: Low tower of 2 stages with crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles, diagonal buttresses and stair turret projecting from middle of north wall. Probably C17 west doorway, 2-centred arch with ovolo surround. North and south aisles with 4-window fronts of 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, another taller version at east end of chancel. Gabled north porch to small round-headed doorway. INTERIOR: West door has ancient plank door with coverstrips and strap hinges. Unmoulded round arch to nave. Nave and aisle open waggon roofs replaced in 1950 incorporating some old bosses. No chancel arch. 5-bay arcades (5th bay overlapping chancel) with moulded Beerstone piers (Pevsner's type B); carved capitals to south, plain to north. Walls stripped of plaster. Ancient doorway blocked by east wall of north aisle. Flag floor. Tower appears to contain evidence of priest's chamber (see Church Guide). Fixtures and Fittings: Mostly C19 and C20 including reredos by Hems of Exeter (1881) and lectern (1922). Choir stalls include a couple of medieval misericords said to come from Torre Abbey. Late C17 communion rails with twisted balusters. Chancel screen and parclose screens restored by Herbert Read of Exeter 1916-20 incorporating fragments of original C15 timber. Good late C16 timber pulpit with "wine glass" stem and panelled sides enriched with Renaissance ornament, said to come from Torre Church. Some C15 benches with carved bench ends. Good C15 Beerstone font with Perpendicular decoration. C17 bell with reverse inscription set in south aisle. Memorials: Only pre-C19 memorials are graveslabs in floor; best are early C18 in memory of two John Easterlys. Glass: Some fragments of C15 glass in south aisle The church forms part of an exceptionally good group of listed buildings in Cockington Park and the adjacent unspoilt village. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.834-5; Seymour D: Church guide: 1990-).

Listing NGR: SX8907563784

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390572
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 834-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)
Seymour, D , Church of St George and St Mary Cockington Church Guide, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/12132/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].