BENGOUGH'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, BALUSTRADES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208562
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
BENGOUGH'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, BALUSTRADES, HORFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BENGOUGH'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, BALUSTRADES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 15:45:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
BENGOUGH'S ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED WALLS, RAILINGS, BALUSTRADES, HORFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58496 73446

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE HORFIELD ROAD 901-1/11/121 (West side) 31/07/86 Bengough's Almshouses and attached walls, railings, balustrades (Formerly Listed as: HORFIELD ROAD (West side) Bengough's Almhouses with boundary wall and steps)

II

Almshouses. Dated 1878. By Foster and Wood. Brick with limestone dressings, ridge stacks and a hipped double Roman tiled roof. 5 single-depth plan blocks to 3 sides of a courtyard. 2 storeys and basement; 5:3:7:3:5-window ranges. Jacobethan style. Full-width central range with short projecting wings linked to lower side blocks, set to a falling site, with rusticated quoins, plinth band, ground-floor cornice band and first-floor sill bands, and a deep coved cornice. The central range has a pedimented 3-window centre set forward, with recessed central section to a semicircular arch within the pediment with a coffered soffit, containing a large open Jacobean-style porch with attached Ionic columns on panelled pedestals with strapwork above, pulvinated frieze to an open segmental pediment with a good painted cartouche, to a semicircular-arched keyed doorway with double 6-panel doors; the first-floor window above set between banded strips, attached Ionic columns to acanthus brackets and a steep pediment with the centre broken back, inscribed ERECTED 1878/ FOUNDED BY HENRY BENGOUGH 1818, and flanking urns. The lower wings have inner semicircular-arched doorways with attached ball finials, and the lower side blocks have central gabled porches with banded corners, pilasters, to semicircular-arched doorways as the centre. Moulded cross windows have pulvinated friezes and cornices to metal casement, 3-light windows flanking the central porch, with raised panels between the floors. 1-window ends to the street, that to the left has an elliptical carriage arch with panelled jambs. INTERIOR: entrance hall to a central open dogleg stair with turned balusters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front walls between the 2 ends have wrought-iron railings with barleysugar stanchions, ball finials and double wrought-iron gates, to central steps up dividing to each side beneath a balustrade with square balusters, ball finials to panelled dies, and railings to the porches. 'A learned pastiche of an unlearned [artisan Dutch Renaissance] style' (Gomme). Part of Bristol's fine group of almshouses. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 316; The Builder: London: 386; City of Bristol: City Engineer's Building Grant Plans: Bristol Record Office: 1851-: FOL 83).

Listing NGR: ST5851173434

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379797
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 316
'The Builder' in The Builder, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/13253/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].